Watching DVD's on my PC. Tips?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kai Zas, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

Well now, considering I've gone 200+ in de disc department, there's no denying I've found myself a hobby that's going to last me a lifetime.
    Instead of watching the movies on a tv, I use a computermonitor. I'm one of those people who doesn't own a tv, nor am I planning to anytime soon. I do my watching on a 22" Iiyama (sitting on a very comfy lounger with my feet up) and I'm quite happy with it.
    I've been using mostly PowerDVD (XP) and sometimes WinDVD, because there's some discs that PowerDVD just won't play (like Die Hard 1 R1 and Family Guy R2). I've adjusted my overlay with the THX-optimizer and a few months ago I bought a Yamaha amp which has been rattling my windows and annoying my neighbours.
    All in all life is sweet [​IMG]
    But I want the best from the setup I have. Should I consider special resolutions or refreshrates when watching movies? Any tools I might consider to optimize my picture? Perhaps there's a high-end player I've never heard of...
    So, any tips for watching DVD on PC would be greatly appreciated!

2. Greg Conti

Greg Conti Stunt Coordinator

PowerDVD is a pretty good all around player. Some people feel that the Cinmaster filters are a little better. Also, the ATI Radeon is known has the best DVD pic. Don't get an 8500 though as its gamma is broken. As far as optimal screen resolution, use the max your display can handle. This was proven to me by Bjoern Roy here:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...g&pagenumber=2
    For refresh rates use NTSC film based DVDs, use an increment of 23.976 hz (for instance, 71.928 hz). For NTSC video based DVD's use an increment of 29.97 hz (for instance, 59.94 hz) I'm not sure what the optimal PAL refresh rates are.

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

If the black strips on your monitor are brighter than black, then u can block them with foam strips or cardboard.

You can attach the matte on your monitor with velcro or jerry rig it on when u watch movies.

4. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

I'm right now playing around with an ATI Radeon 7200 and it is a great graphics card for DVD playback, especially combined with PowerDVD XP 4.0.
    However, a bit of warning: change the default of PowerDVD so you have to manually start the DVD movie disc. There is an issue with many DVD discs that try to install PC Friendly 2.0; when you have PowerDVD automatically start playing a disc with the PC Friendly installer, after the disc is inserted into DVD-ROM drive the disk startup will sometimes cause PowerDVD to experience General Protection Fault crashes. [​IMG]

5. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    ***Comments towards the misinformed removed***

6. Greg Conti

Greg Conti Stunt Coordinator

7. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

8. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

Make sure Hardware Acceleration is on in PowerDVD. It seems to make a difference.

Configuration -> Video -> "Use Hardware Accelerator" checkbox.

9. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit