What's new

watching DTS-MA 5.1 on 5.1.2 system (1 Viewer)

AlFromDadeville

Auditioning
Real Name
Al
Was browsing internet sites looking for opinions on the following questions. New to the home theater game.

Have an Atmos Receiver 5.1.2 audio system (center, front left, front right, back left, back right, height right, height left) with 4K HDR10 video (4K blu ray player, Receiver and TV).

Was wondering how people watch 4K blu rays that do not have an Atmos soundtrack. Many of the 4Ks I own have a DTS-HD MA: English 5.1 soundtrack. As I read more it seems like there are quite a few 4K Blu Rays that don't have Atmos soundtrack thus I got more curious. My understanding is that my receiver can "up mix" or essentially do its best to use my two height speakers but that at the end of the day it is still a 5.1 soundtrack on the disc. It however isn't perfect and is therefore considered "lossy" doing this.

Am I better off to just put the receiver in 5.1 audio mode to hear the true soundtrack of what is on the disc (through the center, front left, from right, back left and back right)? Or should I let my receiver up mix and use the two heights at a 5.1.2 even though the disc is only a 5.1? What do most people do in this scenario?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I matrix using the same codec as the original soundtrack. Meaning I use Dolby Surround for Dolby soundtracks, and Neural X for DTS soundtracks. Which matrix mode you choose isn’t probably a big deal, I just chose to use the same company’s codec as the original soundtrack.

BTW, that does not make it “lossy” as opposed to HD. Two different things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks