watching analog signals on HDTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Amit Singla, May 1, 2002.

1. Amit Singla

Amit Singla Auditioning

I am about to take the plunge into the HD world. I am considering two models, the Hitachi 61swx12b or the MITS 65908. I am concerned about watching analog signals on the tv as I am hearing horror stories about te picture quality. I will primarily be watching dvds but the rest of my family watches television so I must take that into consideration.

I am currently receving dishnetwork broadcasts. Can someone explain to me how they are circumventing the poor picture received from these type of sources? Dropping DISH is not an option and I have no antenna to pick up over the air broadcasts. Someone suggested an external line doubler but it seems redundant to me.

How are the line doublers in these 2 sets? What are you guys doing in regard to poor picture performance from non-dvd and non-HD sources.

I really cannot wait to buy this tv but I have to know how to handle these issues before I take the plunge.

Thanks,

Amit Singla

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

I don't know if this is practical, the the most straightforward solution, I would think, is to buy the TV from a dealer who has the setup that matches what you will have at home. This is the least they can do to earn their money. As not every dealer has Dish (or whatever), that may be the factor in decided who to buy from, if you have a choice. One of the most frustrating things about auditioning a TV or any component at a dealer is that the dealer's setup doesn't match how it will be used. It's like test driving a car that you will drive on the highway, but only being allowed to drive it in the city.

3. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

I have a Mitsubishi 65819 and analog cable isn't that bad. It doesn't come close to a progressive scan DVD player playing an anamorphic DVD, but it's still watchable. Most guys in this forum have some pretty high standards when it comes to image quality. I'm sure your family won't be nearly as picky [​IMG]

4. Amit Singla

Amit Singla Auditioning

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, it would stand to reason that the satellite signal from DISH at circuit city would not be the same as the signal I receive.

While I was at CC, I noticed that the analog picture was awful on the HD. He switched the input to the component source and the picture looked 100% better. I would think that if the garbage in/out adage holds true, component hookups would look worse. Granted, when he switched to the component hookup, we were watching a different program (may have been a dvd or something).

Amit Singla

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Stores typically have their TV sets connected up via their antenna jacks to a single video source using a tree of splitters. The signal strength at any given TV set is likely to be marginal, also there could be leakage of interference from all the other sets that are turned on, coming down the antenna feed. So a good quality TV set in the store is likely to show off all the problems in the source video feed.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

6. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

I too am holding off on the purchase of a hdtv for this very same reason. Every time I see an analog signal on a hd set, it looks fuzzy/blurry. I have an older 36" RCA tube set that gives me an excellent picture from Dish & antenna for the locals. I want this same type of picture quality on a hd tube set........is that asking too much??????[​IMG]