What's new

Watched Directors Cut of Legend Last Night Did I Miss Something? (1 Viewer)

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it was pretty disappointing for a Western.
It's a shame Ridley jettisoned the original Ennio Morricone score to boot.
:)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Like most cult films, Legend has many flaws, but it's still one of the most interesting attempts I have ever seen to create a fairy tale for the screen."

I agree. I first saw it on TV back around 88 and just thought it was a "cool" movie. Loved the simplicity of the story,the art direction,the photography, the sets and especially the costume design and special makeup effects (I was getting ready to ship off to art school).
Legend is supposed to be a Fairy Tale - and Id take Legend over most other and more popular "Eye Candy" movies anyday.
I agree the Goldsmith score rubs me wrong but that may be because Im used to the TD score. The one place I definitely!! prefer the TD score is Lilys Death/Seduction Dance. I havent sat down and watched the DC yet, I just flipped through it quickly.
Even for Legends flaws, I appreciate this movie - It was risky,bold,creative and ambitious.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Despite its faults, or maybe because of them, Legend is one of my most prized viewing experiences. There may be holes in the plot, but I have always enjoyed it for its sheer beauty and scale of production. While I am glad they made the extras, I am also happy that the fairy dance and the alternate opening weren't in the original film.

Legend is one of those movies that walks a fine line between my liking it and the potential to get too childish. The US cut has always worked for me, staying on the right side of that line.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think there is something to "The version that you first see is the version that you will prefer". We've had that discussion about Anime and about dubs and subs, and sometimes, it comes down to that: what are you used to hearing? Personally, I think I'm going to prefer the Goldsmith score, since I have gotten so familiar with it over the years. Personally, I think it is a wonderful sounding score by itself. I've always wondered how it would work in the context of the film.

I think it is the same with new mixes, like the one for Superman that a lot of people hated. I hadn't seen the film in years, and when I got the DVD, I thought it sounded great. Meanwhile, everyone else who have heard it on multiple formats over the years thought it was lacking.

The votes I probably most trust in this matter are those who haven't seen the film all that much and aren't that familiar with it, to give an unbiased opinion.

I just picked up my copy, so it may be a little before I can give mine.

Jason

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I still like Darkness appearing sooner and the ending of the US version. But I also like the Goldsmith's score better in the DC. Overall I would say I like the DC. But have to agree with most of you, its not that good of a movie. I had hoped that the DC would turn this into a real good movie but it didn't. I only moderately liked the original US version. I usually don't buy DVDs until I see them first, but this time I bought first. This is a movie I didn't need to own.

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
I usually don't buy DVDs until I see them first, but this time I bought first. This is a movie I didn't need to own.
I think there are going to be quite a few "only viewed once" copies of the new Legend DVD going up for sale on Ebay in the near future. :D

Todd McF

Second Unit
I can't believe how many people thought the film would be fundamentally changed by adding the lost content. Lost content is usually better left out. At worst, it weakens a film (like Aliens Special Edition) At best, it won't make a fundemental change in a film.
I saw the theatrical version in the 80's, and it was pretty good. It is however, a film that can be appreciated for creating a real "fairy tale" (NOT LOTR), with all the benefits and shortcommings inherent in a two (or 1.5) hour fairy tale.
If you don't like fairy tales because they are childish, light on plot and have fluffy singing segments, why on Earth would you watch (let alone buy) Legend?
Silly consumer I say.
I just watched the DC and plan to buy it sometime soon.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
At the risk of farting in what has largely become a "Wait a minute, Legend still sucks!" thread, I found the director's cut to be something of a revelation.

Even though the Legend DC doesn't alter any major plot points the way the DC of Blade Runner does, the re-introduction of so many small scenes (and thus the restoration of the original pacing), combined with the Goldsmith score make this a very different, and vastly superior film, IMO. This final version exposes the American theatrical version for what it is--cinematic death by a thousand razor cuts.

I viewed the DC for the second time last night, and became convinced the film is at least a minor masterpiece. Is Scott more interested in art direction and photography than plot? Perhaps. You could make the same argument about Blade Runner (as many have). But I believe there's method in Scott's visual madness, and the loss of so many small moments and scenes ultimately robs the film of much of its fairy tale atmosphere, while simultaneously undercutting Scott's use of visual metaphor.

A good example of this is the Meg Mucklebones scene. In the American cut, Meg pops up, briefly threatens to eat Jack, then he whacks her head off. Other than serving as a showcase for another astonishing Rob Bottin makeup job, the scene is pointless.

In the new cut (and in the Euro cut too, if I'm not mistaken), Jack stalls Meg by flattering her and enticing her to gaze at her reflection in his shield...then whacks her head off. Only a slight difference, you say? Perhaps not. This small moment more firmly roots the film in the fairy tale tradition (particularly cautionary fables about the dangers of vanity), while also extending the light/reflection motif that runs throughout the film. (I believe it's no accident that Darkness later emerges from Lily's reflection in the mirror, visually identifying evil both as a potentiality within Lili, and as an outgrowth of pride/vanity.)

There are almost too many moments like this to mention in the DC. Pulling out each one is like pulling out the blocks in Jenga. Each might not seem so significant, but eventually the whole damn thing collapses.

The Music: Yes, Tangerine Dream did a very good job in very little time when they scored the American cut. But Goldsmith's orchestral lyricism simply fits better with the material. While perhaps not among Goldsmith's very best scores, it's still a rich, rapturous work. And honestly, middle-of-the-road Goldsmith is better than most composers' best efforts. I, for one, also think Lily's song is quite lovely.

I will concede that TD's version of Lili's Waltz is catchier, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it fits better with the scene. After hearing Goldsmith's waltz, TD's just seems a bit too light and bouncy--not operatic enough, considering the primal, Eden-like temptation that's taking place.

Clearly, however, this film is not to everyone's taste. I imagine some of the negative reaction above is similar to that which occured during the disastrous preview screening that sadly caused Scott to second-guess his vision and cut the film in the first place. You either surrender yourself to material like this, or you don't. To each his own.

In any form, Legend is no Fellowship of the Ring, but what is? It still stands as one of the major achievements in the fantasy genre, IMO. If there's any "nostalgia" being displayed by Legend fans, I believe it's on the part of those who still prefer the American cut after seeing the DC.

I still like Darkness appearing sooner
Would you prefer to see the entire shark in Jaws within the first two minutes of the movie? Jurassic Park's T-Rex? Or how about Scott's eponymous Alien? Patience is a virtue in this case, methinks.

--Jefferson Morris

P.S. Not to mention the fact that the lighting on Darkness in the American cut fails to match the lighting in the reverse shot of Blix. Plus, what was up with the glow-stick nails and contacts? Is he at a rave?

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
Sorry, I meant fantasy - thinking of the "fiction" part and classed them all together. But yeah, it was lame anyway. I didn't even look for reviews first - just went on the fans' impressions.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Would you prefer to see the entire shark in Jaws within the first two minutes of the movie? Jurassic Park's T-Rex? Or how about Scott's eponymous Alien? Patience is a virtue in this case, methinks.
All excellent examples. My heart sank when I first saw the early reveal of Darkness in the American cut. Darkness's entrance in the version I saw in Europe was truly awe-inspiring. That early shot of him spoils the whole effect. He has the dull expression of a kid with indigestion, and (as you've aptly noted) the colors and lighting are all wrong.

The difference between Scott's preferred version and the American cut can be summed up in the appalling text crawl that introduces the Am. version. It goes on and on, summing up all the story and explaining everything you're about to see, as if the filmmakers didn't think the audience would be smart enough to follow the story without it.

To me, the major difference between the two versions isn't the music; I have no major attachment to either score. It's in the overall approach to telling the story.

M.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I thought it was pretty disappointing for a Western.
It's a shame Ridley jettisoned the original Ennio Morricone score to boot.
Now that was funny! :laugh:
I agree strongly with some of your points, Michael. The dramatic appearance of Darkness after lurking in the shadows for 2/3 of the film was a remarkable improvement. I was actually thrilled by that scene. The opening text in the US version pretty much spoils it for me right from the start.
I definitely prefer the Goldsmith score, but I felt the mix was occasionally too loud.
I have never been a fan of Legend, but I was very impressed with the DC.

dan fritzen

Second Unit
my 2 cents

i liked the original when I was 12 and I only saw it a few times due to the LD was never wide screen. I bought and watched the directors cut.

I do not like the opening or ending. The opening has no text on the DC and therefore the love story between jack and Lily was not felt like it is when you read that they are in love, granted that is not a lot but it does add a little something. The ending is better seeing the unicorn's horn being put back on in the original also.

As far as the score goes, I did not hate Goldsmith's score although at times i missed the emotion that TD's brought out ( i remember a drum beat), TD's is not the best either but the better choice for this movie buff.

What really disappointed me was the glowing green eyes only appear once late into the movie in the DC as opposed to early on in the theatrical release in the US.

I still have to watch the original release on the DVD so i am reserving the right to completely change any stance i just took in my arguments.

PS, cool spell check feature, now all my "teh"s will be "the"s

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks