watch *rock* concert DVDs?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Windbreaker, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Windbreaker

Windbreaker Auditioning

I have to be somewhat selective in this title, because I don't want someone coming to me with a Jewel or Tori Amos recommendation. I've got an online rental account, so I'm checking out concert DVDs like never before.

What have you seen that was released recently that's worth the 90 minutes?

(Motley Crue's Carnival of Sins was amazing.)

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Roger Waters - In the Flesh Live
    Robin Trower - Live
    Cream Reunion (Royal Albert Hall)
    Rush - R30

All have above average sound and picture

I am also a huge fan of the Rush in Rio DVD, but that one is a bit controversial.

Brian

3. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Van Halen "Live Without A Net"
    Awesome DTS track.
    I own Carnival of Sins...I wet myself when I first dropped it in.

4. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

Nine Inch Nails - And All That Could Have Been (DTS)
    Eagles - When Hell Freezes Over

5. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    I second Brian's mention of R30.

And although they weren't released recently, I second Rommel's mention of Hell Freezes Over. Just spun Peter Gabriel's Secret World Live and enjoyed it; although I haven't gotten to them yet, I expect his Growing Up Live and Still Growing Up to be fine as well.

And "'tallica gives you heavy, baby": S & M is still a watermark for the format IMO.

6. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Meat Loaf: Live In Melbourne
    Dream Theater: Live At Budokan
    Yngwie Malmsteen: Concerto for Guitar & Orchestra (if you're into that sort of thing -- I am [​IMG] )
    I just watched that Journey in Houston disc from '81, and I dug it. The sound mix is similar to that of Rush In Rio -- it sounds like an actual concert (some people don't like that).

7. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

I give this one a nod, too. But content-wise I prefer Dream Theater's Scenes From New York (Scenes From a Memory is my favorite DT album).

This next one isn't really a concert video, but if you like Rush and their Test For Echo album and drums and Neil Peart and instructional videos (who doesn't?), then check out Neil Peart: A Work in Progress. It shows him in the studio playing all of the songs on the album. As a "special feature," you can opt to skip all of his talking in-between songs and watch only his performances (which'd be a shame; he's an interesting fella).

I also want to mention either of the G3 videos in case you're a guitar fan. Steve Vai's Live at the Astoria London is good, too (albeit with unnecessary video effects), and as a bonus has a pretty amazing Virgil Donati solo.

8. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

U2's 'Rattle And Hum' - one of the best concert DD tracks you'll ever hear.

AC/DC 'Live At Donington' - it just rocks !

9. Windbreaker

Windbreaker Auditioning

I've been curious about the Journey releases - thanks Silverman, I'll check that one out.

Kevin G, I don't have DTS... will I still enjoy VH's Live Without a Net? I've heard mixed reactions to that release. The 10 second clip I saw wasn't impressive video quality.

Dream Theater. I should have mentioned that if DT or Mike Portnoy put it out, I'm buying it!

Rush. I own (and love) both Rio and R30. The opening R30 medley is incredible.

Metallica. You're right - it's still amazing. The Some Kind of Monster doc is on my shelf (watched it twice already, plus features).

10. Rick88

Rick88 Auditioning

Along with those already listed:

Eagles - Farewell Tour
    John Fogarty - The Long Road Home
    Peter frampton - Live In Detroit

11. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

The Concert for George
    a tribute concert for George Harrison - with Eric Clapton etc etc. the first part (Sitars and classical indian) wasn't for me but after Monty Python, things really rocked. great SQ and PQ as well. Keep a lookout for John Cleese's stand-in [​IMG]

Pink Floyd - Pulse
    Queensryche - Operation:Mindcrime
    Yes - Symphonic

12. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

Nathan,

If you enjoyed "A Work in Progress", I would recommend (to you) Neil Peart's "Anatomy of a Drum Solo".

13. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

Eric Clapton - Crossroads Guitar Festival
    Hours of great music. Slow blues, heavy-shreddin, acoustic picking... this has it all.
    Billy Idol - Storytellers
    Worth it just to see Steve Stevens play White Wedding with one guitar(!)

14. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    "Led Zeppelin" (2-disc self titled DTS)
    AC/DC - "The Family Jewels"
    3 Doors Down - "Away From the Sun: Live From Houston" Monster Music SuperDisc

Chris

15. Windbreaker

Windbreaker Auditioning

Until now I didn't know anyone that had seen the Peart discs. Mike Portnoy's Liquid Drum pretty much lives in my DVD player. I'll check them out. And speaking of Drum DVDs, the Steve Smith History of Drums is worth checking out for the few minutes he lets loose on nothing more than his hi-hats.

Anyone seen a Nickleback DVD? Now that they've come into their own as a straight ahead rock band, I'm really diggin 'em.

Steve, you're right about that EC Guitar Festival double DVD. I'd recommend that to anyone, regardless of their music tastes.

16. nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood Second Unit

My only issue with EC's Guitar Festival is the chapter stops, there's like 3 chapters stops in the song Crossroads itself. I wanted make a cd of some of the tracks on it and couldn't because it was so butchered. But it is a fine looking DVD.

I've got a number of rock concerts, some of my favorite are:
    Dave Matthews Band - Live In Central Park (this is one is just amazing, if you have a nice Home Theater System, this is the concert you use to show it off)

John Mayer - Any Given Thursday (This is where people found out John could play guitar, plus he does a commentary on the whole concert and is pretty funny)

Pink Floyd - Pulse (audio is amazing, picture quality is pretty darn good coming from a video source)

Rush - R30 (This is also shown on INHD on tv and either way it looks amazing)

I've got the Cream Runion DVD, Peter Gabriel - Still Growing Up dvd but I haven't gotten around to them. Along with SRV - Live in Montreaux and a ton of others.

I did hate the Paul McCartney - Back in the U.S. dvd, ug.

17. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

Actually, there are 3 different G3 videos -- the guests are Eric Johnson, John Petrucci, and Yngwie Malmsteen.

That Steve Vai disc is pretty ass-kickin'. Steve Morse has a similar 2-disc set that's also worth checking out (aside from his instructional videos).

I also second the rec for AC/DC: Live At Donnington. A really excellent redo of an old VHS release.

18. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    INHD2 has been playing Pink Floyd's Pulse recently I've caught "Comfortably Numb" as well as "Us and Them/Brain Damage/Eclipse" while flipping channels recently. It does look great, especially in HD..

Awhile ago, they had Rush's R30 on rotation too...

Jay

19. BrianTwig

BrianTwig Second Unit

Metallica: Cunning Stunts is one of the best concert videos ever.

20. Greg.G

Greg.G Stunt Coordinator

The Isle of Wight DVDs are pretty cool. I prefer watching them over the Woodstock stuff. Even performers I'm not totally thrilled about like ELP and Moody Blues were quite spectacular.

I love the Ween Live in Chicago DVD. Really great soloing and song selection.

If you like Sparks(think what a heterosexual version of Queen might sound like) you gotta see their Live in Stockholm.

I'm watching Live 8 now. The Stevie Wonder performance on Disk 3 is really great. The Pink Floyd, Who and Roxy Music performances were just okay.