Watch regular TV (cable/DSS) thru projector? (use PJ for "everything")

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MichaelDDD, Oct 22, 2003.

1. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Contemplating a new "monitor."

Prices on PJs have come down a lot in the past couple of years. For the price of a good RPTV, I can enter the PJ world.

But, more than 50% of my "viewing" is TV. Discovery channel, History channel, etc.

I've never seen TV thru a PJ before; I assume it would look just fine though.

Does anyone use their PJ for "everything?" I.E. movies AND regular TV?

Is this a bad idea? I.E. due to bulb life and bulbs being several hundred dollars.

Thanks. [​IMG]

2. mckenzig

mckenzig Extra

I use my X1 for everything. The built-in faloujda deinterlacer works great for TV (regular cable connected through my VCR's tuner). Obviously, it's not as bright as a regular CRT TV - and if the picture looks bad on a regular TV (bad lighting, etc.) it will look worse on the large projected image.
    So it really depends how fussy you are.
    I find the picture perfectly acceptable and love watching TV in theatre-size.
    As for cost, the X1's bulb is around 20 cents an hour to replace.
    Cheers,
    Grant

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If you're looking to use the pj for everything, then some of the current crop have bulb lives of 5000 hours. This would be a real advantage for you. The Panasonic L200, L300 are two such projectors.

4. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Thanks, Grant & Neil. [​IMG] I'm considering a number of different video options right now...size of my viewing room will most probably dictate the final decision.

Being that I haven't moved yet, I'm in the "info gathering" stage right now.

I appreciate the input.