Watch out for Photoblocker scam !!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Kelly Grannell, May 3, 2006.

1. Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell Second Unit

You know those people selling Photoblocker to block red-light camera and toll-booth camera. Well, I bought a can of their paint and followed their direction to the T. They claimed that the more coatings you apply, the better the effect will be. So I use 8 coatings (they recommend 4 or more for best results).

The following are the results. In terms of angles, I was assisted by a buddy of mine who is an OPP officer (police officer).

Here's a direct shot

[​IMG]

Here's a "traffic camera angle" shot

[​IMG]

Here's a "toll booth angle" shot

[​IMG]

As you all can see, it doesn't do anything... well, it does do one thing great, it makes my license plate looks brand new and shiny.

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Umm, didn't mythbusters try something like this on an episode once?

On a lighter note, if you're so worryed about big brother getting your license plate at toll booths, why are you plastering your license plate all over the internet? [​IMG]

Jay

3. Kelly Grannell

I'm not worried about that, I was doing this experiment with an OPP officer in Canada. They want to test whether the product actually works and the officer assigned to do this test is a friend of mine. If it's actually work, they want to ban the product in Canada. Now that the product doesn't work, they also want to ban the product in Canada on the grounds of false advertising. LOL

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    "REFLECTS traffic camera flash, helping to prevent a costly ticket!" The product's website specifically mentions how the application causes strong reflection of the flash used with traffic cameras, washing out the image. Does your test properly simulate the flash used for such cameras?

5. Kelly Grannell

Don't know, it was done by an Ontario Police officer. It was taken using Canon 30D and Metx 54 MZ4 with a snoot (to concentrate the flash just to the plate area)