Watch my first Cowboys Game in HD - Wow!

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Neil White, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

I got my first HDTV Rear Projection TV a week ago. The day I got it I watched MNF on ABC and I was impressed. Yesterday I watched the Cowboys and Bills battle it out on CBS in HD 1080i glory and oh boy ... what a joy to behold. I was blown away. Using the Twin View, I compared the HD widesreen image with the full screen analog coverage - amazing how much more the HD image showed. Beautiful panormic shots of the field and stadium. I could read the players names on their jerseys. You could make out the knap on the astroturf.

I'm in heaven folks!.

BTW - it's a Sony KDP-57WS550 with the integrated ATSC tuner. I'm using a Rat Shack $50 antenna mounted in the attic. Works like a dream.

N

2. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

Ditto:

I can say the same thing! It was truly amazing! I must admit though there were some shots that looks very pixeliated (sp?), but I just assumed that those shots were just them switching over to a standard definition camera for a few seconds. (it was weird though because the picture stayed at a 16X9 format. Maybe I just had a bad feed with my antenna or something.

The "bad" shots that I am speaking of were primarily when they had a close of of a cheerleader of a close up of a player. On the player close up it was weird though, because his face was perfectly clear, but everything else was pixeliated (sp?).

Any explanations anyone?

3. Neil White

Grady,

I noticed shots from the ground at the end zone were not HD (but still 16:9 as you point out). Shots from higher in the end zone, like during a field goal were HD. I also noticed some pixelation at times but I think that's compression/bandwidth issues at play. What was sweet was seeing the reflection of the stadium roof in the helmets. sooo clear.

I think CBS does a good job of keeping the show widescreen during non-game parts of the show. They put up some sidebar graphics etc. I've seen other stations that simpy jump to 4:3 at those times.

N

4. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

Get ready for next Sunday night! Cowboys @Patriots on ESPN-HD 8:30 PM. Unfortunately I will not be able to see my beloved Cowboys next week in 1080i. I'm going to have to settle for seeing them in person.

Should be a tough game for all, including the fans. Temperature should be in the low 30s!

Ralph

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Congratulations Neil. I was so happy to see that CBS had made that their headline game, so it came up in HD. Much better than FOX’s EDTV—which I admit that I prefer to SD.

To top it all off, the right team won. [​IMG]

6. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

HDTV rocks, especially at 133" projection via HS10 [​IMG]

Yesterday's game sure was pretty to look at, even though it wasn't a pretty win [but we'll take it! 7-2!!]

7. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

So your twin view option was able to display both the Analog and 1080i Image side by side? If so that is one hell of a way to compare! [​IMG] I can't wait till I can ditch my 27 inch and get me something similar.

8. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

9. Neil White

Travis,

Yes, the Twin View allows digital tuner picture on the left and analog or other input on the right. Sweet I tell ya.

Lew/Paul,

You got that right. A win is a win but it wasn't the best of games.

Ralph,

I can't get ESPN-HD yet - I only have OTA HD right now. Have fun at the game!

Thomas,

I'm not sure. The higher the better for an antenna so it's really a question of your location and whether you have a balcony you can mount the antenna on. I've heard some indoor antenna's work but check www.antennaweb.org for more information.

N

10. Dustin Wind

Dustin Wind Stunt Coordinator

I have a 65" HDTV Toshiba.
    I NEVER miss Sunday or Monday nights.
    Anyone who comes over is blown away.

I even have my girlfriend watching football now!

11. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

That's too bad Neil, but you'll be able to see them on Thanksgiving Day if you're home. We're leaving my in-laws house at 3:30 pm on turkey day. Everyone is following us to our house for dessert so I don't miss the game!