What's new

Wasps... (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Under the eave of our roof at the back of our house, some wasps seem to have started to build a lil nest. Right now, it's about the size of a fist at most. How do we get rid of it safely & easily?

StephenA

Screenwriter
I would say a hose, but not sure how effective that is. You wouldn't have to get close that way, which is a plus if they are hornets with their tempers and all. I'm sure there's a better way, but that's all I could think of.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Many of the Wasp and Hornet sprays available at Lowes, Home Depot, et al have nozzles that can spray 20-25 feet. Just check the cans for a long range one. Have a clear route planned out and be prepared to run but most of them have a pretty quick kill and the offending bugs just drop down. Make sure you soak it real good to kill any larvae.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Lee, I didn't realise there were products available for just this. Where the nest is positioned, I'll easily be able to spray & duck inside quickly.

Terry Hansen

Stunt Coordinator
I recommend doing it close to dark that way all the wasps will be in the nest, also a wasp killer insecticide with good range. Also be prepared to run like hell!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If you do it after dark, and aim the jet at the opening of the nest, you shouldn't have to worry about escaping. I've sprayed a couple in my time, after dark, and have not had any counter-attack. ;)

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Wasps tend to sleep at night but I've read at several places on the net (university web pages, exterminators, etc) that Hornet are awake and ready to attack even in the middle of the night.

For wasps, I found that hot water and Dawn dish washing liquid will kill them instantly if you can hit the nest well. A quick (and entertaining), violent death for them. Not as much fun as fire but it this nest is on your house you wouldn't want fire anyway.

If I find a nest in my metal storage building they die horribly in the night. A death by FIRE.

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit
I have nailed many a wasp nest with the wasp killer sprays. I have never been attacked. Suckers just drop and twitch a bit.

I would never ever use a hose, that is asking for massive amounts of trouble.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the wasp/hornet spray at lowes or home depot works great and shoots from far away. Do it as the sun is setting and keep spraying until you don't see any more movement. I was aiming a sprinkler head one evening and heard something behind me, I turned around and I almost backed right into a HUGE hive on the fence. Slowly backed away, got my spray and let 'em have it. Then used a metal pole I had to knock the next down and chopped it up and sprayed more to make sure I got it all. The sprays kill them almost instantly so as long as you keep spraying at the next till they don't move anymore none will get out.

Or you can do what my dad did. Saw them entering the house and ripped the wood off the side of the house, pulled the nest out onto the lawn, covered it with lighter fluid and lit it up. Probably not a safe or smart thing to do but it sure was fun.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
The spray is very effective, but it has a warning on it to wait some period of time (like an hour or something), before messing with the nest. FYI.

I sprayed a nest last year, and I noticed it's still up in the eaves. I'll have to spray it again to make sure it's not inhabited and knock it down, before some new hornets/wasps take it over.

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
I have sprayed many nests and have never been stung (was an exterminator once). One can use any kind of poison spray, but you will have to get close unless you get the hornet/wasp spray. I usually use any old spray I happen to have. Here's the secret, move very slowly.

It's kind of freaky, but as you slowly move closer with the spray can, they will stop moving and every one of them will stare at you. They will NOT do anything else, such as attack. I usually get about a foot away. Then let them have it. They will mostly just drop to the ground and crawl around for awhile before dying. Sometimes a few will fly off blindly and soon die.

It is not necessary to keep spraying them, if they get any poison on them they will die. Same goes for roaches. If they get poison on them they will die. You don't have to drown them.

NEVER RUN IN THE PRESENCE OF WASPS! They have poor eyesight due to having compound eyes. They can sense rapid movement quite well however and can fly faster than you can run. They will usually leave you alone if you move slowly, but will attack if startled by quick movements.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
step one: position video camera and start filming
step two: poke at nest with stick
step C: post video for HTF's enjoyment

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra

Fascinating. Never knew this about wasps. I have a friend who can run the 100-meter in the low-to-mid 10's (seconds). Wonder if he could outrun a bunch of agitated wasps to a swimming pool 100-meters away? Hmmmmmmmmmmm...This would make a twisted, but great triple dog dare. :D

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
And make sure no PETA members are around. :)

Seriously, take measure of wind direction and so forth. They can get pissed very quickly.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
catch it in a coat, smack it with a hammer....no, wait, that's squirrels:)

another vote for a wasp killing spray

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks