What's new

Washingtonians - How is 2001's presentation at the Uptown? (1 Viewer)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I'm going this Sunday with bunch of friends from NJ, probably to the 4:30 show. I know it'll be worth the drive!
Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Stephen, if you can IM me on AIM. My screen name is BertFalasco
Let's try and see it.
-Bert
[Edited last by BertFalasco on November 06, 2001 at 07:51 PM]

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Stephen:
Is the Uptown Theater really closed on Sunday? I was planning to make the big trip down from NJ. I just called the theater and nobody seemed to know about it - they told me to call back tomorrow. I'm sure it has something to do with Harry Potter but I'd like to make sure before making any other plans.
Thanks,
Bill

StephenT

Stunt Coordinator
I put closed for Sunday's showings because moviefone.com had no showings listed. However, I just checked fandango.com and it says there is one showing on Sunday, Nov. 11 at 9:45 PM. Why there is only one showing listed for both Sat. and Sun. I don't know. That seems strange. Does anyone know if that's correct? What's another source of showtimes online?
------------------
Stephen

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Just got off the phone with someone at the Uptown Theater. They are closed to the public on Sunday for special showings of "Harry Potter", but the woman said all shows are still on for Saturday (1 PM, 4:30 PM, 8 PM) although Moviefone.com only lists the 1 PM show.
There go my plans. Darn you, Harry Potter! Hope I can make it for Saturday.
--Bill

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
To answer the question in the thread title: F**king great. If you're a fan of this film, there's no better way to see it. I've seen 2001 there three times so far: once in 1991, once in 1993 (for the 25th anniversary), and again this past Saturday. I'll be going back this weekend to worship again.
As for that Post review, I'm not going to dignify it with a read. It would probably just piss me off too much. I realize that in matters of taste and aesthetics there is no absolute right or wrong, but still...
--Jefferson Morris

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Does anybody want to meet up this weekend, or next? I'm serious, let's have a mini "HTF gathering."
Email me at mailto:[email protected]
star.gif

Darren H

Second Unit
I'm leaving for Maryland tomorrow morning (Thursday). I'm using 2001 as an excuse to take off a few days from work and to visit my parents in Annapolis. I'm planning to see it either Friday or Saturday, but probably won't know until Thursday night which show I'll be attending.
Bert, since you live in the area, can you recommend any places to eat? It might be fun to get a few of us together for a showing (matinee on Saturday?), then we could talk movies over dinner afterwards. Just an idea.
I won't be able to check in here (or my e-mail) until late tomorrow afternoon, but if any decisions are made, please keep me informed.
[email protected]
Darren

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Darren-
Well right across the street from the theater is a nice little Italian place called Vigorelli that's quite reasonably priced and is definitely casual attire. There's also Lavandou if you're into French Bistro style. More pricey and upscale, but also excellent are Ardeo and its wine bar spinoff Bardeo. Again all of these are right across from the Uptown, plus some others.
- Guy

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I really like Darren's dedication. I myself have driven hundreds of miles to catch commercial-theater screenings of 2001 and Zardoz.
Now, to all of you who've been newly initiated to the film in all its 70mm glory: Isn't the experience positively revelatory?
(Remember, L.A.-area HTFers: I'd like you to join me at The Egyptian in Hollywood this December. I'll post again about this as the date nears.)
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Okay, I guess I'm not going on Sunday or at all to see this. Damn you, Harry Potter!
Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Darren,
We can definitely do that. I'm assuming you will be reading this tonight (Thursday) or tomorrow since I waited to post too late. We can, well whatever matinee or night showing is conveinient for us.
[Guy, the Italian restaurant, are you talking about Vace? Also, I used to work at Whats A' Bagel, I could rendevous with my old "dogs" and get us some free food, no its awesome food, if I make it..or my homies]
Guy,
Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking, if in the metropolitan area, what apartment building?
We need to confirm decisions quickly, tomorrow is Friday.
Reply back please.
We can also visit my old boss from Potomac Video, he is a really cool guy, he's the guy who gets me into screenings and advanced copies of movies and screening copies..He can show us a "good time" as well, might even join us.
To eat, there's also the awesome a$$ Irish Pub..Chicken Pot Pie like a "mother".
-Bert
[Edited last by BertFalasco on November 08, 2001 at 05:18 PM]
[Edited last by BertFalasco on November 08, 2001 at 05:20 PM]

Darren H

Second Unit
Jack, this will actually be the second time I have travelled from Knoxville to D.C. just to satisfy my Kubrick addiction. The first was three summers ago, when I came up to see all of his shorts and Fear and Desire at the Library of Congress. I'm MUCH more excited about this trip. 2001 fits securely in my all-time top 5 films (which rotate constantly). This will be not only my first time seeing it in 70 mm, but my first time seeing it on a big screen. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.
I've had a slight change of plans, though. I'm going to see the first matinee tomorrow (Friday). My mother made dinner plans for us on Saturday, so the entire day is shot. Sorry. I'm sure that's not very convenient for those of you who have to work tomorrow. Of course, if you were a real film buff, you'd just take the day off, like I did.
wink.gif

I'll check in here again tomorrow morning to see if any of you will be there.
Darren

StephenT

Stunt Coordinator
I was hoping to go to a showing on Saturday, but other things came up. I at least already went once. For those going I say enjoy. It's quite an experience.
------------------
Stephen

Darren H

Second Unit
I'll keep my review short and sweet. For years people have been telling me that unless you see 2001 in 70mm, you haven't really seen it at all. I finally know what they mean. The film I saw at the Uptown today is actually a different film from the one I've seen 20 or 30 times on TVs large and small. The effects are more impressive, the performances are more dynamic, the camerawork is more graceful, the attention to detail is more astounding, the music is more appropriate (the scene with the Blue Danube really is a waltz), the drama is more tense, the murder of HAL is more Shakespearean, the Star Gate sequence is more . . . well . . . MORE, and the entire scale of the film is more epic.
My only regrets are: 1) that I'll never again be able to really enjoy the DVD, and 2) that I'll never again be able to watch it on the big screen for the first time.
Today I had, without a doubt, the greatest film-watching experience of my life. Jack, if I had the money, I'd buy my ticket for LA tomorrow, and bring a few extra bucks to buy you a drink afterwards.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
"Today I had, without a doubt, the greatest film-watching experience of my life."
And how can anyone ask for a more ringing endorsement than that? Folks, this is cinema at its best--and presented as it should be. Talk about genius.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Wednesday can't get here soon enough for me. I had planned to go this past week but too many things intruded. Now, it's a one-day down & back viewing. Glad to hear the presentation has been top-notch. This will be my first 70mm showing since 1977-78 and I can't wait...

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
After a 4-hour trip from NJ, I saw "2001" at the Uptown on Saturday. It was beyond the power of words to describe. I'm going back again tomorrow - I've got to take advantage of this opportunity while I can.
--Bill

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Bert-
No, Vace isn't the restaurant I was referring to. Vigorelli's relatively new (less than two years old) and quite good. Vace's also good, but it's not really a restaurant; it's more of an Italian deli/grocery. Good pizza by the slice though.
I'm actually in the process of moving to LA at the moment (go figure), so I sadly can't join you all. For the curious I live(d) with my parents on Woodley RD in Cleveland park, about a five minute walk from the theater.
Maybe I'll see some of the LA members at the screening in December!
- Guy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks