What's new

Washingtonians - How is 2001's presentation at the Uptown? (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Just trying to make sure the presentation is up to par before I make the 4 1/2 hour drive down there from New Jersey some time next week. What condition is the print in? How is the Uptown's focus and sound? How crowded have they been? Inquiring minds need to know...

Darren H

Second Unit
I'm also anxious to hear some feedback. Peter, I have you beat. I'm driving all the way from Knoxville.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Derek, thanks for the link. I've never heard of the writer before - and after reading his less-than-intelligent remarks about 2001, I'm not likely to go out of my way to read him again. At the risk of sounding like a cliche, he just doesn't "get it."
Anyway, please post your thoughts - re: the presentation - after you see it.

Darren H

Second Unit
Um, I, uh, just read that Washington Post article. Don't tell Jack Briggs about it.
I'm going to pretend that the article was actually printed in The Onion, giving me license to read it as pure irony.

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Seeing it tonight at 8pm. Bought my tickets the afternoon. Unfortunately the marquee of the Uptown is straight out of Spinal Tap. It has "2001: A Space Odyssey" on top, but below, in bigger letters is "Harry Potter Tickets now available". Almost as weird/funny as the "Lord of the Rings Trailer and Thirteen Days" ads that ran last Christmas in the paper.
As for Stephen Hunter, well he's always been grouchy (look up his review of Iron Giant). Although usually it's well-written grouchy. This is a new low for him.
- Guy

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I generally ignore the Post's movie reviews. Generally, if they don't like it, it might be worth seeing, that's my view.
Jason (Who will go sometime this weekend to see 2001)
------------------
My DVD Collection

ToddMS

Stunt Coordinator
Just my luck! I leave for college the same year that 2001 comes to town! What are the chances...
Todd

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Well what can I say? It was friggin' awesome! This was my first time seeing 2001 in a theater and the first time I'd seen anything in 70mm. The image quality is amazing. I noticed lots of details I never had before (for example there are little IBM logos everywhere, on Dave's space suit, on the control panels in the moon shuttle and elsewhere; on video all I see are little blue squares). The beyond the infinite sequence was a real highlight. On that giant screen the sense of movement was incredible.
Additionally the sound is excellent I noticed many subtle details on the soundtrack that I hadn't picked up on before. Be warned they play it loud so that screech emitted from the monolith is really painful (of course that's the intent). And they play both the overture and entre act music with the curtains drawn and the screen darkened.
One final note: I did notice that a few seconds seemed to be clipped off the BBC interview scene. I'll have to check against my DVD tomorrow but I seem to recall it ending with the interviewer saying good luck to Frank and Dave, but here it ends after Dave's assertion that no one can really know if HAL has genuine feelings. I did notice that this was near a reel change so it seems likely a projection goof rather than an actual defect in the print, but I'd be curious if anyone else noticed at one of the other screenings (I went at 8pm on friday).
- Guy

Darren H

Second Unit
Thanks for the review, Guy. I'll probably see it on Friday or Saturday. How were the crowds?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Thanks for the update, Guy. Looks like the trip will be worth it for me.
Anyone else see it there?
[Edited last by Peter Apruzzese on November 03, 2001 at 12:43 PM]

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
That review in the Post says more about the reviewer's tragic level of ignorance than it does about the film; the nimrod writes as if he had been weened on MTV. I mean, this is the newspaper that broke the Watergate scandal? ('Sides, the writing quality was amateurish. Appalling.)
What is pleasing, however, is this thread: It's gratifying to read that some of you are prepared to drive hundreds of miles to see these screenings. And you know something, fellas? Your reactions will mirror Guy Martin's a hundred percent. You will not be disappointed.
(Let me put it this way: When I see a freshly struck theatrical print of 2001, I come away feeling as though I have seen The Masterpiece again for the first time; it's like being able to lose one's virginity over and over. [Weak metaphor, I know.] I felt that way the last time I watched a pristine 70mm print of 2001 back in 1996.)
As for the Los Angeles screenings, I understand they are to begin in December. I, um, may go check it out. I think. :)
------------------
2001-a.jpg

[Edited last by Jack Briggs on November 03, 2001 at 01:39 PM]

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Crowdwise it was about 3/4 full and the line outside for the 11pm showing looked like there was going to be a similar turnout. I will say it was one of the best-behaved crowds I've ever seen there. Everyone was quiet and nary a cell phone was heard.
BTW I checked against both my DVDs (original MGM release and Anamorphic Warner re-release) and I was indeed wrong about the interview scene being clipped. It does end abruptly after Dave's response re: HAL's emotions. Chalk one up to my faulty memory.
Those of you driving in from afar will not regret it, imho.
- Guy
PS
Come quick as it's only playing until the 16th when Harry Potter takes over the theater!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I could not resist the temptation to email Mr. Hunter regarding his review.
My recommendation was that he seek vocational counselling in consideration of a more suitable career. Clearly, reviewing film intelligently is beyond his capabilities.
Don't get me wrong, it's not the fact that I disagree with him about the movie, it's the fact that he fails to really make any intelligent point, instead choosing to resort to throwing out stupid comments like "What a widiculous movie!" and "Or maybe it's just that I wasn't high this time when I watched it."
Quite lame.
I know many HTF members who don't like the film either, but who are able to discuss it intelligently at least.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Any smokers who want to accept the challenge of joining me in quitting? If so, click here

Darren H

Second Unit
My faith in the Washington Post has been somewhat restored. Here's Desson Howe's write-up:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2001Nov1.html
quote: My first order of business is to command you to see this movie in all its reconstituted glory, right now, at the Uptown. Listen to your movie critic. Shake that DVD controller out of your hand, dress for comfort and get in line on Connecticut Avenue.[/quote]
One other thing: can any of you tell me which Metro stop is closest to the Uptown? Thanks.
[Edited last by Darren H on November 05, 2001 at 07:55 AM]

StephenT

Stunt Coordinator
Started a new thread before this one was pointed out to me. Anyway I saw it last night (Nov. 5), and it was fantastic. I think I may go again on Sat.
------------------
Stephen

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
OK, can we all meet somewhere, I live a minute from Uptown/Cleveland Park metro stop, I say we meet since we all know what/where we're all talking about.
-Bert

StephenT

Stunt Coordinator
Bert, who wants to go and when? This Fri. or Sat.?
Fri., Nov. 9: 1, 4:30, 8, and 11 PM.
Sat., Nov. 10: Only one showing at 1 PM.
Sun., Nov. 11: Closed
Anyone?
------------------
Stephen

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks