What's new

Washington Behind Closed Doors (1977) (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The 12 hour miniseries with an all-star cast that took a novel by Watergate co-conspirator John Ehrlichmann and expanded it into a full-blown fictionalized treatment of the entire Nixon Presidency, comes to DVD June 5.
http://www.amazon.com/Washington-Behind-Closed-Cliff-Robertson/dp/B007ISJS8M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334714246&sr=8-1

kenNew

Stunt Coordinator
This is very good news but what do you suppose Amazon mean by their note: "Due to music rights, this program has been modified for home video presentation."?
Do you think it refers to occasional source music or has Dominic Frontiere's complete score been replaced with library music?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Has anyone bought the DVD set? It's a little pricey at around $35 at most places.
I recall the best part of the series was Andy Griffith playing the fictionalized character based on Lyndon Johnson. :cool:
Has the rest of the production aged well? :confused:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I have mixed feelings of this. OTOH, I have nostalgia for how I taped this off Lifetime in 1986 in the early years of my having a VCR, and there's also the great level of 70s TV icons in the cast. OTOH, I know that given my personal politics today, I'm not going to react to this like I did when I was a teenager and still in the political development stage.
Dilemma for me solved by my getting it at the lowest possible Amazon vendor (new) and using Amazon credits for it so it doesn't cost me anything! :)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well, I got my copy and to my disgust I can report that five of the six episodes come from PAL source material. All I had to do was listen to Dominic Frontiere's main title theme playing at a too fast speed and the wrong pitch. Curiously, for Part 2, the music is in the correct pitch and speed but it's a disappointment to find that compromised source material was used (and this is a reminder of why I will never buy a foreign region release of a US program if it does exist in R1 at the correct speed)

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
PAL Speed-Up is always a huge "no-no" in my book. Whenever I watch my favorite films or TV shows, I always make sure they are in their original speed.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Most people won't really notice such things unless they listen for it or it's pointed out to them. PAL speep-up never bothered myself in the least, probably because I reside in Pal land so I'm used to it and no matter what some male actors just have very high pitched almost feminine voices to begin with. Michael Douglas comes to mind, granted it's even more noticeable in PAL.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks