What's new

washing baseball caps (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
how do you wash your baseball cap? i know the label says dry clean only, but i've heard some guys say they just put it in the machine with a load. just wondering. if it makes any difference, i'm talking about the fitted caps with the heavier brim. i used to handwash mine but it's alot of trouble...

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
There are basket-like devices (a cage, really) that you can put your cap in and machine wash it. Most places that sell caps have them...

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but do you then just air dry it? Say if you had a fitted hat that was just SLIGHTLY too big. Would putting it in the dryer shrink it just the right amount to now make it a perfect fit or would it be waaay too small?

Also, would washing it in this manner release what I call the "high brow" effect some fitted (New Era) hats have, where it seems like the hat doesn't really fit the natural curve of your skull?

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Evan, I feel your pain about the New Era high-hat syndrome. I am a big hat wearer, and I think I've sworn off NE's caps just because of that. You can always cut out the plastic in the front, but then it's kind of lumpy. A hint: Nike's fitted and velcro-back caps have a GREAT look and feel in the front.

I have always hand-washed mine--with bad results. Another habit I'm breaking. Just follow the directions and dry-clean them. You'll be happy you did.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I just throw them in the washer and air dry them. While I'm drying them I put a tennis ball under the brim attached with a rubber band so that it gets the perfect curve.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
This is a problem for me too,
but i've had good luck in the washer, air drying....
regular detergent.

I will admit that my navy blue cap from old navy
turned a very weird color after washing it though.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I would air dry them. I once dried my favorite one that had one of those plastic adjustable snaps on the back. Well, that melted in the dryer, ruining the hat.

If you're looking to shrink it, you could try washing it on hot. However, you are asking for color bleeding, so you may want to wash it alone.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, New Era now has started to manufacture a "low brow" model of their classic 59/50 Major League series hats, but only for certain teams and the ones I already own kinda look a little stupid on my head (especially my beloved Oakland A's model). Beloved for the team, not the hat.

I'm a huge hat wearer myself. I could wear a different hat every day and not duplicate one single wearing during a month's time. When you have 35 hats in rotation (and are constantly buying more), very few get dirty enough to consider washing.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
dishwasher for me too.

top rack only.

a little laundry soap.

amd use the hot air dry setting too so it will dry it almost all the way before yoyu take it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks