WASABI - A great find ...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Aurel Savin, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

I am surprised I have not read anything about this movie here on the HTF, besides a brief mention in the Regional DVD section.

After reading a positive review of this on dvdfile.com I decided to give it a shot via a rental, being a big fan of Jean Reno.

What a great movie!!!

The easiest way to describe it is to take the buddy comedy of RUSH HOUR, the coolness of THE PROFESSIONAL and even the quirky charm of AMELIE and you got WASABI.

It's a French movie that takes place in Japan after Jean Reno's character has to travel there for the inheritance left to him by his long lost love of 19 years. That being $200 million and a daughter ...

It turns out that his love did not die of natural causes and that there are people after the inheritance.

It is nothing you have not seen before, but it is done in a fresh way with a pulsing soundtrack and great subtle directional 5.1 action!

Jean Reno is great as the straight guy who is really funny. Something that DeNiro pulls off so good as well.

The disc is very vibrant in colors and has a great transfer.

I think this is something that deserves a rental at least ... an ovelooked gem.

2. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

This is on my HIGHLY RECOMMENDED list.

nuff said. [​IMG]

3. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I found the movie to be entertaining but I could not honestly say that it comes anywhere near the three movies that you mentioned....on any level.

4. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

There were a few glaring mistakes in the plot that I just couldn't get over. It started off good but went downhill fast for me. Jean Reno is one of my favorite actors but this film just didn't d o it for me.

5. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

Saw this last night and really liked it. Great use of surrounds too!

6. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

I'm with you Edwin.
    It was a good rental (and probably better than The Transporter) but got the feeling this was another "Luc Besson hands over the reigns to one of his students and puts his name on it" movie.

It seemed more like a pilot to a good TV show than a full blown movie.

You never feared for Reno's or the girl's safety (unlike in Leon)

But all Reno fans should watch it.

Doug

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Although I searched and saw that this dvd was mentioned in another few threads, I thought this specific Wasabi thread deserved resurrection on its on accord. Its not the greatest movie ever made, but its fun and very effective entertainment.

I bought this dvd used at Rogers Video as a lark. I watched it and was blown away. Its a goofy movie, but the transfer is great, the sound is very good, as long as you like pumping bass techno-ish sound, and the movie itself was really entertaining. I watched the subtitle version. All I can say is that this movie is good and I'll watch it again showing it to friends I know will find it hilarious and enterntaining.

I also must ask this question. Why was this movie not received well in North America? The cross between Japanese and French is great. This movie is terrific and even though its a few years old, the film itself and the video and audio quality is great. I also love the cinematography. This dvd will show off anyones front projector and home theatre audio. I say anyones' meaning those of us with projectors that aren't top of the line. Wasabi looks really good on my modest Panny L200. Very nice transfer, high resolution close-ups and generally nice colourful scenes and slammin' audio. This bargain is a must own DVD.

Has anyone else stumbled onto this gem lately?

8. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

I have. I rented this from NetFlix awhile back and really enjoyed it. The subtle nuances of Hubert (Reno) and the comedic stylings of Maurice 'Momo' (Muller) was top notch. I quite liked the scene when Momo brought in the two huge weapons cases into the hotel room and Hubert is looking through all of them but chooses his trademark revolver. I also enjoyed how Hubert uses a golf club to subdue his attackers and prevent the carjacker from stealing his vehicle. In other words, as soon as I see this for a great price in a store, I'm buying it immediately.
    I put it on it's original French/Japanese audio track and english subs when I watched it, no dubbed from original language for me, thank you very much.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I bought this one used from eBay back in the summer of 2003. I loved this movie (I'm a Jean Reno fan and can't wait for the March 29th release of The Crimson Rivers: Angels of the Apocalypse aka The Crimson Rivers 2).

Yep, I cringed when I heard the English dub track- definitelya movie that is much better in the original language with subtitles.

10. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Ipicked this up about a year ago, It really is a fun movie. No classic by any stretch, but a lot of fun.

11. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Well I have to say being a huge Jean Reno fan, I gave it a spin last year. Found it very annoying-couldn't stand the teenage girl. Oh well, nothing ventured...

12. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

13. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

I have the region 3 version.

I believe it has full bit rate dts and is one of the better dts soundtracks out there.

The movie is pretty good but it has it's flaws.

14. Brian_cyberbri

Brian_cyberbri Stunt Coordinator

I also enjoyed this movie. I liked the use of the surrounds, especially when they are going through the weapons while the girl is coming in and out of the room trying on clothes. I picked this up off of Amazon for about $12 I think.