1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Was your first box set a "Grail" show?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Regulus, Mar 6, 2018.

1. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    The first TV on DVD I ever bought were the Avengers sets with Diana Rigg when first released in the late 90's. A definite grail show. I never considered TV on DVD before or after that until probably around 2005. I figured why buy TV shows when you can likely find them on cable somewhere. But the Avengers was something I hadn't seen for decades. Fast forward after 2005 and 300+ TV shows purchased on DVD later, I couldn't imagine watching TV any other way.

2. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    My first Blu-Ray set was The Dick Van Dyke Show, which sold for about $30.00 CHEAPER than its DVD counterpart did! :D

Flashgear likes this.
  3. tlc38tlc38

tlc38tlc38 Stunt Coordinator

Trent
    The first show I bought on Blu-ray was seasons 1-5 of "The Twilight Zone". It's still one of my favorites!

I own these shows on Blu-Ray:
    The Twilight Zone (complete)
    Little House on the Prairie (complete)
    Pee-wee's Playhouse (complete)
    The Honeymooners (classic 39)
    The Andy Griffith Show (season 1)
    I Love Lucy (seasons 1 & 2)

Darby67, Regulus, Flashgear and 2 others like this.
  4. bmasters9

bmasters9 Cinematographer

Ben Masters
    I've seen both the DVD and Blu all-in-ones of The Twilight Zone @ the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville, and one thing I've wondered-- why is the DVD just the episodes, while the Blu all-in-one has episodes and bonuses?

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  5. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Supporting Actor

Jeff Flugel
    If we're talking Blu-Ray, that I can remember...my first TV on BD purchases were Star Trek: The Original Series and The Prisoner, followed closely by the the 90s BBC miniseries of Pride and Prejudice (with Colin Firth). That's the one that really sold me on the format. I expected ST: TOS and The Prisoner to look good, but Pride and Prejudice, because it was filmed in 16mm, had always looked terrible on VHS and DVD. But the remastering rendered incredible results, and led to similar remastering / restorations of other great British series, like Poirot, the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes and the Joan Hickson Miss Marple, which all look wonderful on Blu.

Darby67, Flashgear and Blimpoy06 like this.