Was there a backstory to "PREDATOR"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd stone, Jan 2, 2002.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

As to where the alien came from, and why he was in the jungle anyway?

2. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

A lot who the Predator is is explained in Predator 2, not to mention the scores of books, comics, and video games. In short, he's a big game hunter.

3. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

O ok, thanks. Never saw Predator 2. Heard it was awful.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Have you seen Predator 2? A lot of the backstory is filled in indirectly.

He's a member of a civilization organized around hunting and collecting trophies. They've been coming here for well over a century -- presumably because it's a good hunting ground.

ADDED: Posted too slow! As for Predator 2 being "awful", I disagree. But it's played more for comedy than the first one. It's the only time Danny Glover has led a big action movie, and I was surprised at how good he was in it.

M.

5. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Predator 2 is FAR from being awful in my opinion. I love it, and think it is better than the original!

6. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I've always had my own theory about the aliens in the 'Predator' films. I think that the ship we see break off and fall to earth at the beginning of the oiginal, is actually the ship we see in part 2, this explains why we don't see it's ship in the original. And that their were other predators already on Earth during the events in the first film.
    As for the back story, the predators are basically other worldly hunters who travel the galaxy in search of the ultimate game. You owe it to yourself to see 'Predator 2' at least once, and you'll see a special "guest" skull turn up at the end on display in the predators trophy room.

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I agree with Justin here.
    "Predator 2" is IMO one of the few sequels that beat the original. It has a better cast, a more interesting story that expands the concept of the Predator, and cooler effects. The ending alone is worth the price of the rental.
    I really hope they get a third entry in the series out some time (and I don't want it to be Aliens vs Predator). I would love to see a WW2 or Civil War setting for it (think "Ravenous" or "Saving Private Ryan" with a Predator! [​IMG])
    /Mike

8. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Hmmmm, the Predators like hot climates. Maybe they should set Predator 3 in Afghanistan... [​IMG]

9. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

The sequel better than the original...heresy! [​IMG] I like P2, but the original is still one of my all time favorites!!
    Just to see A'nuld get his ass whooped makes it a classic. Now that A'nuld is older, and gets his butt kicked once in a while in movies, you have to remember when this was filmed. A'nuld was indestructable back then!
    And who could forget Jesse "the Body"....."I aint got time to bleed."
    Matt
    [​IMG]

10. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    You don't have to see Predator 2 to get the backstory. It's explained by the rebel prisoner (albeit tough to understand with her accent). She says that the old ladies in her village talk about in the hottest years men from the village would be found without their skins. And that the old ladies called it something like the creature that makes trophies of men. Then later we see the predator cleaning and polishing the skulls of its kills. It's obviously on a hunting trip, and likes the heat.

11. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

"Stick around."

That's all I need to say.

12. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Put me down for another thumbs up for Predator 2. The cast is better overall and I like Danny Glover's everyman cop as much as I liked Arnold's super-soldier in the original.

13. Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger Stunt Coordinator

Is there any chance that we will see a 3rd installment? And what happened to the Predator vs. Aline movie?

BTW I like P2 a lot, not as much as the 1st though.

14. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Speaking of a 'Predator 3', back in 1990 I was reading an issue of 'Starlog' magazine, and it stated that Kevin Peter Hall, the guy that played the predator, was contracted to do at least two more Predator films, but tragically he passed away of pnumonia(sp). So I guess the projects were scrapped. I mean surly we would have seen another film or two by now, it's been 11 years.

15. Jeff-

Jeff- Extra

Add another one to the "Predator 2 is better than the first one" group.

16. Greg_C_T

Greg_C_T Second Unit

Predator 2 was alright, but it just doesn't come close to the first one. It was beyond my suspension of disbelief to believe Danny Glover could stand up to the Predator when a team of trained commandos got their asses handed to them in the first movie.

Plus, did we really have to rehash the "hero runs away from impending explosion/dives to safety at the last second" from the first movie? It was cool the first time, guys.

17. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

While I think the original is definitely the better film, Predator 2 is certainly a good enough time to warrant a rental! Yes, it's cheaper and sillier than the first one, but who cares? It's got lotsa blood, some solid gore, a handful of exciting action scenes and a damn solid cast.
    I can see why my fellow critics may not LIKE Predator 2, but it's nowhere near the awful crap it's made out to be...despite the appearance of Morton Downey, Jr. [​IMG]

18. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I like P2 better than P1 also! Where's the darn DVD!

19. Terrell

Terrell Producer

But Predator 2 goes into a little more detail about the Predator and their origins.