What's new

Was the "South Pacific" Blu-Ray a success? (1 Viewer)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Was the "South Pacific" Blu-Ray a success? Sales wise? I'm guessing FOX is using this title to gage how other older films will sell on Blu-Ray.

Amazon has placeholders for other FOX large screen format films:
Oklahoma
The Sound of Music
Cleopatra

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I think really the reason that South Pacific showed up on BluRay first is because they had a decent enough restoration to make it feasible. We know very well that Oklahoma, Sound of Music and others need some TLC before they make the leap to Blu. And I hope that SP did sell well--it was well received and reviewed by members of this forum. I've already watched it twice myself--it's stunning. As for the other movies you mention--obviously Sound of Music is a no-brainer top 10 classic home video seller; it'll be out when the time is right.

I'm not sure if they're still trying to restore the missing footage to Cleo; I hear mixed rumors about that. Is that really what they're waiting for?

RDarrylR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Darryl
I think "South Pacific" on Blu-ray was a success. It is a great disc.

I would love to own "The Sound of Music" on Blu-ray - I'm hoping it's coming this year.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I believe I read WB was using "Gigi" and "An American in Paris" to gage classic film sales on blue-ray.

I do know that when "Grease" was released last week it sold out very quickely, Fry's already has gotten in a second shipment

RDarrylR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Darryl
3 other great titles that I picked up as well. I wonder if they sold any amount.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
For The Sound of Music, I recall that Robert Harris' review of the 50th Anniversary DVD was less than great. I believe he used the phrase, "...not ready for prime time." So that film had better get some real TLC before they release it on Blu.

MohanShankar

Auditioning
Real Name
MohanShankar
I have spent three days searching for some common reason for this.its help me

htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I agree, this disc looks wonderful. I was really impressed at how good a film of this age could look and sound.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
The SOUTH PACIFIC blu-ray looked flawless. The best thing I've ever seen on Blu-ray. The color, saturation and sharpness were perfect. And they did a good job with the filers. I was very, very disappointed that the road show version in the same set was in standard definition. I heard other people all over the internet complaining about this and I hope Fox took notice. This is a film that just gets better with each viewing and you appreciate as you get older. I only hope that THE SOUND OF MUSIC looks as good as SOUTH PACIFIC. The DVDs of THE SOUND OF MUSIC were less than stellar because they seemed to have some weird sort of video manipulation which I've never understood particularly since this was filmed in the super high-def TODD-AO.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Fox has yet to release a disc of OKLAHOMA that didn't look ghastly---I suspect it will need a lot of restoration, if it's ever going to be in releasable shape. I know I'm never buying another disc of this film until I see a bunch of review confirming it's not another steaming heap.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
I would LOVE to be wrong, but I have a sinking feeling that regarding Oklahoma! what we are likely to get on Blu-Ray is a gorgeous transfer of the CinemaScope version and the latest crappy SD version of the Todd-AO version. Ever since viewing the Todd-AO production, I haven't been able to go back and watch the CinemaScope edition without feeling unsatisfied. When I watch Oklahoma! I generally choose the Todd-AO in its earlier DVD incarnation -- if I don't zoom it, it's reasonably watchable (but frustrating in its smallness).

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I agree the Todd-AO version is better. I saw it at a screening about 12 years ago and it looked great. FOX admitted they had a tech problem with the DVD so maybe they will be able to correctly transfer the film for Blu-Ray. Being that it a R&H film chances are they will at least try

Xylon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex L
I can see some pubes in the transfer. Look at the bottom of the frame. Very obvious if you have a projector setup. Forgot to clean that one up

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks