What's new

Was The Fast & The Furious the worst movie of all time? (1 Viewer)

David Ruiz

Second Unit
Hi Guys,

I bought F&TF on the first day it came out on DVD, because of two things. (1) EVERYONE talked about how it was the best movie of all time and (2) it had two of my favourite actors in it "Vin Dissel" and "Paul Walker". Anyway, upon my first viewing, I immediately realized that this may in fact be the WORST movie of all time. It was SOOOOO boring, and it was VERY hard to follow what was going on with the plot making so many "twists". I'm not sure if I understand what it was supposed to be about yet, and I've seen it five times already (only because I'm trying to force myself to like it).

I will admit one thing though, I really LOVE the way it sounds, but that still doesn't justify the need to have it in my collection since I truely hated it.

Maybe it's because I have absolutely *NO* knowledge about cars what-so-ever! I did think that they looked cool, but the story/plot was so boring, I could not follow what the movie was supposed to be about.

Did anyone out there hate it as much as I did?

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
I didnt hate it, I thought it was pretty fun. But I really hated Driven which was awful. Another car film, yes.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Bought a copy cuz everyone here was raving about it. My 2 cents: forgettable, grade 'C' flick at best. Take away the car chases & you're left with little in the way of story & characters. Special effects don't make the movie (they should be in service of the movie). I'm selling my DVD & re-watching the terrific IMAX DVD "Super Speedway: Mach II" instead.

True that it's a demo DVD, but any movie can be produced with all the bells & whistles. But, if a movie sucks, it still sucks no matter what deluxe treatment it gets.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I liked it in the 'B' grade sleeper movie sense. I would say that it has a comparable to the other Vin Diesel early year sleeper, Pitch Black. I thought is was so much better than we had an expectation for, with good performances, the aforementioned excellent sound design, and wonderful stunts and effects. I was particulars impressed with the amount of practical stunts, which are so much better than the recent reliance on CGI to make something like a car crash 'exciting'. See any recent CG crashes/stunts like those in Along Came a Spider, Driven (uggghhh), or the remake of Gone in 60 seconds and compare it to those in say Breakdown or TFatF. I found the latter to be so much more satisfying.

I loved the vehicles, the pacing, and I thought they generally did a great job all around.

Best movie around - not even close, not even in the top 10. But I do have it on my honorable mention list for 2001.

paul_v

Second Unit
I dont remember anyone saying it was the best movie of all time. I do remember some people saying it's the best street racing movie of all time. If it had more racing scenes I would probably agree with that. Ronin is up there too. But Fast and the Furious was good because it accomplished what it set out to do. But you have to admit the racing scenes were pretty cool hehe

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
This may be an apples and oranges comparison but how is it next to the most recent "Gone in 60 Seconds" ?I really enjoy that one as a fun get some energy movie.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Chad,
I think you might enjoy "The Fast & The Furious". IMO, it was equally good/bad as "Gone In 60 Seconds". :D

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Well, I liked it. I thought it was fun. Great film? No. But it was just some silly fun where you get to see cars get smashed up real good. Excellent sound as well.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
I think anybody who said it was "the greatest movie of all time" was probably exaggerating a tad. It was a decent popcorn flick with cheesy acting. That said, the DVD has great sound and a great transfer... I try to enjoy flicks for what they are.
Is it the worst movie of all time? No, A.I. is :D

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Not the worst movie of all time, NO. Sphere was much much worse. However, I did not really care for it and it did not engage me like some other brainless movies did (Top Gun, Vertical Limit, Days Of Thunder for example).

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I consider it a movie that is just to be used for entertainment, you can't take it to seriously.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
Fast cars, hot Chicks and one of the meanest Hemi's I ever seen at the end just to shows all thoughs rice burners out there what a little american rolling iron can do.

The only thing that sucked about this movie was the fact that they wrecked the Charger instead of the Supra.

Whats not to like?

Rob_C

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the movie was terrible. All of the comparisons to Point Break was unjustified. At least Point Break was a decent movie. I am still clueless how this movie pulled almost $150 mil.

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
Pretty bad, but not the worst.

That would be "Vegas in Space". Paper plates flying over paper mache' "buildings" made of any household, under the counter disinfectant bottles. Drag Queens as the good heros (heroines?) and the evil bad guys (wicked witches).

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
Unjustified hype. Sounds like a movie teenagers would deem as "cool" for obvious reasons but nothing more.

Okay story and acting. Nothing to write home about.

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
Brainless fun, but at least the movie didn't pretend to be something it wasn't (i.e., it didn't try to pretend it was posing serious philosophical issues), and the DVD presentation kicks serious butt.

I can definitely say TFF wasn't the best movie of the year, but it was by no means the worst.

Worst movie for me has to be "Pearl Harbor" which was too long, too overhyped, and just plain agonizing to sit through (it took itself way to seriously, too). No matter how great the DVD might be, that movie will earn no forgiveness.

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
I thought FAST AND THE FURIOUS was a blast!
As mentioned earlier by someone else here, this movie is not to be taken seriously. Plus, I think some of you nay-sayers might find a little more value in the film if you listen to the director's commentary and watch some of the 'making-of' feature.
This movie has the ingredients of a bad movie, but the director handled these ingredients very well, IMO.
I liked this film because I thought this was one of Vin Diesel's better roles, the way the director conveys speed to the audience is great, the story was managable even though its all been done before, the racing and action sequences were fun to watch and a little gripping to boot.
The 5.1 soundtrack on the DVD is fantastic!
On its own, this is a :star: :star: :star: :star: (out of 4) movie and DVD for me.
A blast!
Tastes vary. What defines "fun" for one person may differ to another.
I loved it!
P.S. I hated GONE IN 60 SECONDS!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks