Was 'SPAWN' in any way influenced by 'SPIDER-MAN'?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I know that Todd McFarlane used to work for Marvel comics, but went his own way when they wouldn't let him do the charactors he wanted to do. But when he sat down and designed Spawn, did he use certain parts of other comic book super heros to incorporate into his design? Looking at my theatrical poster of 'Spider-man' on my wall, his head looks an aweful lot like Spawns.

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

IMO, McFarlane nearly ruined Spider-Man, with his AWFUL drawings. I liked Spawn quite a bit though, and part of that was because I felt like McFarlane tried his best to make it different from Spider-Man. I didn't see their designs as very similar at all, not more than other comic book heroes at least.

/Mike

3. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I guess it has to do with the shapes on their faces. Spider-man's eyes look similar in shape to the white portions of Spawns face.

4. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

That's a McFarlane superhero face thing. I too thought they looked similar, though only in this respect. I think McFarlane changed the way Spider-man's face tends to be drawn, and he certainly created the way Spawns face gets drawn, thus the similarity.

Spawn was a great idea at the beginning, particularly with the power countdown, but as of late (I tried issues 93-103) it seems creatively bankrupt.

5. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Interesting question. I'd wager a 'yes' vote.
    Incidentally, if you're at all curious about the 'inner workings' of Todd McFarlane, there's a rather cool DVD documentary about him called The Devil You Know.
    (Although you probably knew that already...) [​IMG]

6. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

Who made that documentary? If it's something independent, I might check it out but if Todd himself was involved in producing it I won't.

7. Greg_C_T

Greg_C_T Second Unit

I loved McFarlane's work on Spider-Man, and on Spawn as well. For similarities between the two character designs, check out the cover of Spawn #1 that mimics the cover of Spider-Man #1 that McFarlane drew.
    Link to Spawn cover:
    Link to Spider-Man cover:

8. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Both issues grossly overprinted at their respective debuts. These two titles along with X-men #1 helped the ill state that comic books are in today. Too bad, since some of the best stuff is being written today.

I dropped out when Valiant got sold, and returned a few years ago.

9. ShawnCoghill

ShawnCoghill Stunt Coordinator

i like it when he drew for Spiderman,but spawn just was annoying to me,just another character,I couldnt help but think of Spawn as being Ghost Rider in a Black Spiderman alien symbiot/Venom costume.But I dug his art,just not for Spawn.