was offered

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Zack<P>, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Zack<P>

Zack<P> Agent

i am new to the sound and vision thing still but lately ive been trying to revamp my system i recently started buying B&W speakers . powered by a yahmaha 1200vx . now my question is i have been offered a preamp and a tube amp for 2500 bucks . do i realy need these to increase my current setup . i mainly use my system for movies and such games .

2. Will d s

Will d s Stunt Coordinator

Tube amps are usually used by 2channel audiophile's. I doubt you would need this unless the preamp has surround modes that you would like and your current reciever does not provide. I would make sure you research the brand and models to make sure you are getting a good deal prior to purchasing.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

May I ask which B&W's you've got? Because if you're running the 600 series your srealy probably don't need anything like that. If you're running the 800 series, they just beg for separates, so it's something you should probably consider.

4. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

i think it also REALLY depends on what the gear is that he is selling. if we are talking BAT or audio research or cary or something... get it even if you dont need it. just because its tube, that doesnt mean its worth that much.

5. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

For movies and games I suggest staying with solidstate. You can't get the impact and dynamics of movies/games with tubes (unless you are ready to spend magabucks). Solid state is a better value for that.

My 2 cents.

6. Robert Cowan

let's first find out what he was offered... there are tubes out there that can do what he wants.

7. Zack<P>

Zack<P> Agent

the name of the amp and preamp are chanling he says they are from china sounds like it to me . so what do you all think also the speakers are 601s2

8. Robert Cowan

aaaah. well, its shanling. its good stuff. their amps go for about $2k used, and i cant find a price on their preamp, but i would say its a good deal.

your speakers will be the weak link in your system for sure. BUT, if you get that now, you can always upgrade them later. its a good deal, and its good stuff and worth keeping.