What's new

Was LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT Found...And Then Lost Again? (1 Viewer)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Jon, it was a good read, but color me skeptical. In fact, some at the message board where the article is posted brought up the question that really kills the story for me: why did Sid nonchalantly walk away from the find? He said he could not just spirit it away, which I understand, and that he worried for his job security (he lost the job a few months later, anyway). But it seems he should have notified someone about a blockbuster find. He could have called a newspaper at the least. He seems to upbraid those who did nothing to get the film released, and yet he apparently did nothing either? This is why I don't believe the story.

But I'd love it if it were true.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I watched the Schmidlin restoration on TCM. I realize it was not the same as seeing the film, and that it could not recreate the cinematography/editing, etc. But the story was IMO pretty poor.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
The film is still lost and this hoax is in particularly bad taste, as the public is vulnerable to incredible discoveries after the last month's finds on METROPOLIS and NIGHT AT THE OPERA.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Was the A Night At The Opera "discovery" proven to be true? No offense, but as I previously mentioned before the lost footage of Metropolis was discovered until I read the article in the New York Times or on line at CNN or FoxNews.Com, I am not buying it.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
This hoax will give the writer and the no-name website that posted it their 15 minutes of SHAME.

What's particularly galling is that the article posted the names and contact info of numerous archivists and film historians. These fine people, who cetainly have much better to do, are in danger of being innundated with requests stemming from those gullible enough to fall for this. Our own Mr. Harris has already been contacted about this and said simply, "I doubt this is true".

Case closed. As the cop said: Move along folks, there's nothing to see here....

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
It's a very interesting story & written very convincingly. I hope it's true!

CameronMcC

Second Unit
the article was edited, apparently Ted Newsom who was quoted turned to debunk the whole thing. Any clue where he did this, as I would like to read it directly from Ted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hickskeith007
Recent bookmarks