What's new

Was in a Bose store the other night.. help me win an arguement with a friend (1 Viewer)

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Here is the system we were looking at

http://www.bose.com/home_audio/ht_systems/ls35/

Now When I lookied at the back of the receiver all I saw was a digital optical connection for 5.1, no digital coax. So I asked the guy what happens if I have a dvd player with digital coax? how do I get 5.1? He tells me just hook up my regular composite audio RCA jacks from the dvd player into the receiver. He then explains that the reciever will change the signal to 5.1. this can't be right can it? please help.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
Do youself a favour and stop looking at that system "NOW". Do a "Bose" search on this forum and you will learn. As to your question the "guy" is either wrong or flat out lying. The best you can hope for using RCA audio jacks is DPLII. The only way to get 5.1 is thru either an optical or coax digital cable.;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
He is incorrect. The best you can hope for using the regular analog stereo outputs from your DVD player is Dolby ProLogic II via the receiver, which is a simulated 5 channel surround mode, not actual 5.1 channel digital audio. It appears that Bose has something similar to DPLII called "Videostage 5" by looking at their product sheet.

[sarcasm on]And since it's from Bose, I'm sure it'll be worth all that extra cost. [sarcasm off]

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, don't worry I am not getting that system. we were just walking by the store after getting some coffee and decided to go in. I thought he was full of sh*t , i did not feel like argueing with a $7.00hr monkey.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You'll find more highly paid monkeys over at the high-end boutiques to argue with.

John Royster

Screenwriter
well you can get 5.1 from a DVD player without a digital cable. Just use the 5.1 outputs on the DVD player and plug them into the receiver.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Before Bose opened a store in the Mall of America, they had signs looking for people that said they paid something like $15/Hr. So you were talking to a $15/Hr. monkey at least.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
FYI parts express has some cheap converters (optical to coaxial and visa versa), something like $15
make sure you wash well after leaving the Bose stores. You might catch the sickness that causes you to throw away money on sub-par audio gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks