What's new

Was I the last guy on Earth to find out about this ??? (1 Viewer)

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
TonyD ? I guess this bit of simple common courtesy would apply to everybody here right ? Then someone should go tell Robert Harris he should not start a thread called An article of interest... Who' s up for that ? Raise your hand. I hope you all see my point now.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I do see your point and I don't like that one either, but because someone else does it doesn't mean it's fine for everyone to do it. Why even bother with thread titles, just make every thread title, "hey...read this topic." Considering your title and the actual topic, how do you like the discussion so far? I'm not trying to pick on you, in the past I have asked an insider who posts here to create more specific thread titles as he was doing what you did, more or less a "check this out." Instead of saying sorry for your luck as you have, he admitted that more info in the header was warranted.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
montrealfilmguy said:
TonyD ? I guess this bit of simple common courtesy would apply to everybody here right ? Then someone should go tell Robert Harris he should not start a thread called An article of interest... Who' s up for that ? Raise your hand. I hope you all see my point now.
Using Harris's thread as an example is not totally fair. If you put the cursor on the thread title, it becomes instantly clear that he is referring to an article about the decline of film print services. A person doesn't have to actually open the thread to see what the article is about. The same cannot really be said for this thread. If you had stated immediately that you had just learned that Larry Wachowski may have had a sex change operation then the vague thread title would not have mattered; however, you didn't do that. Your preamble is about discussing films with a fellow film buff, so the thread preview popup contains no information that would help a person deduce what the thread is about. The only way to determine the thread's theme is by opening it.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
all right ok, fine i made one mistake of being elusive in my title. I'm sorry good people of HTF Let's move on shall we ? And thank you Edwin-S for pointing out that you can place the cursor on the title thread i had never noticed it. This morning, i just don't have that debate in me anymore. But it still bothers me that there is no sub-forum in here for film related news that would not be listed in any of the categories here. Here's one example, http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/this-is-the-saddest-movie-of-all-time-according-to-science/ I'm positive this doesn't go in the After hours lounge.Absolutely Not in Bluray.Not in Home theater.Not in theatrical.Nowhere But it still is a very nice read to which people could have a discussion about. There are hundreds of others,i'm sure you could think of a few yourselves.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Seems like that article would be a good fit for the regular "movies" forum.

CRyan

Screenwriter
While I agree that thread titles without specifics can be annoying, I am fairly certain I would never point that out to someone who happened to do it once. And I certainly wouldn't recomend someone (posting on a public forum and now in the most casual portion of that forum) to change their thread title because I was annoyed. Kind of like those people who try and make it their mission to correct peoples grammar. But I guess it takes all kinds - those annoying people who post non-specifc threads, those annoying people who complain about superficial things, and then those who annoyingly try to point all of that out. :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
To answer your question, you are the last guy on earth to have heard about it! Even I heard about it, and I just found out that Elvis is dead! ;)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Greg_S_H said:
To answer your question, you are the last guy on earth to have heard about it! Even I heard about it, and I just found out that Elvis is dead! ;)
Sorry, Greg, but, Ben isn't the last guy on Earth to hear about this, I am. Knew nothing about it until I stumbled upon this thread. :) And, speaking strictly for myself, I really don't see the problem with the odd vague thread title in AHL. As a general rule we to try to avoid such things (e.g., "Have a question about Home Theater" - no kidding, Columbo, that's kinda what we're here for.) But I don't think the Forum will come undone or the Republic will fall because of Ben's post. :D Later, Joe

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
( AS Ben comes back from an evening of buying BD's ) What is this i see ? Great,now that i did say i'm sorry,people are coming out of the woodwork to join me in my crusade :P Thank you all, but Pope Urban II has already decreted i could go back to my poor man's home theater and watch Kurosawa's High and low.:) As i take a step back though,i've noticed a few things here. I find out i am NOT the last guy on Earth to find out about this...3 of us so far and maybe more people who just haven't taken the time to post in here. I find that although a vague title,it still warranted 970 views so far. And i find that putting the words Last guy on Earth nevertheless triggered a bit of curiosity in people. About what information could he be the last guy on Earth to know ? And to those who use that ol' bit about this being older than the internet when they watch videos somewhere. I say you will always find people who haven't seen Citizen Kane,2001, or Star wars and all of those are way way WAY older than the internet. :D

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Okay, my two cents (for what they're worth, which isn't much):

1. You're not the last to know. I didn't either until reading this thread.

2. Vague thread titles are annoying and discourteous, I don't care who does them.

3. Topic seems perfectly suited for After Hours to me. It's not about a blu ray, or blu ray in general. It doesn't even have anything to do with the brothers' films. It would be like posting a thread about Peter Jackson becoming a dad in blu ray or theatrical.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Joseph DeMartino said:
And, speaking strictly for myself, I really don't see the problem with the odd vague thread title in AHL.
Now you are just asking for trouble, it's open season boyo's! ;) Imagine.... If the silica packet thread had had just such a vague title, the world would never have known!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks