Was Dawson's Creek shot Wide?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nicholas Martin, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Cinematographer

Mar 18, 2003
    Looking at the TBS broadcasts, the Season 3 opening credits was widescreen, although that could have been a one time artistic decision. But I began to notice from that point onward, a very slight pan and scan effect in certain shots, some were quite blatant in Season 5 which is currently rerunning on the channel.

So was it originally shot in widescreen?

The eventual DVD release of Season 3 has no info on the ratio yet, but with TV on DVD, that info probably wouldn't mean a thing- Look at ANGEL Season 2 and the OAR madness of that for example!

P.S. I posted this in THIS thread because I thought it belonged here and not in the TV DVD forum, as I am referring to the TBS broadcasts, which were the same on the WB. The DVD release is a whole different matter.
  2. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

May 16, 2001
    Actually, it was filmed widescreen from season 1 and on. But I believe the series was composed for 4:3 for the entire run.

I haven't heard about that widescreen instance on the opening credits. Seems interesting.

The region 2 best of releases were widescreen. Don't know if they have r2 series sets though.