Was BLOW OUT released yesterday?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gabe D, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

I know Blow Out was supposed to be released on 8/28, but there was no sign of it at the local Best Buy last night. (They did seem to have all of the other new MGM titles.)
    I had one of the guys in blue check the computer. He said it listed 12/31/01 as the release date. This veritable Einstein proceeded to explain that they must have moved it back "for Christmas shopping."
    Anyway, before I drive all over town, I want to make sure that people have actually seen this disc in stores.
    -Gabe

2. Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks Second Unit

Scott Shanks
    It was released yesterday. Whether an individual store decides to stock a title or not is another matter. I picked up Forrest Gump at Best Buy yesterday, but I did not notice if they had Blow Out or not. Good luck.
    Maybe the employee at your Best Buy was Greek Orthodox.
    Scott Shanks
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Scott Shanks on August 29, 2001 at 09:17 AM]

3. John Choi

John Choi Agent

My copy of Blow Out from DVD Empire came yesterday along with Carrie and Dressed to Kill.

4. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

Got my copy of BLOW OUT at Best Buy here in Dallas last week, so they are carrying it. Maybe your store just hasn't received their shipment yet...

5. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

I went to three stores yesterday (including Best Buy) looking for Blow Out. No one had it. The clueless teenager at BB looked in his computer and told me that they wouldn't have the DVD in stock until December 31st. I told him that must be a mistake since the release date is 8/28 but he wouldn't waiver. Sometimes those BB employees frustrate me to no end.
    I gave up and decided to order from Amazon.
    [​IMG]

6. Anthony_H

Anthony_H Stunt Coordinator

Anthony
    Mark... not to change the direction of this thread.. but I couldnt agree more. I went to my normal DVD store which didnt have DRESSED TO KILL...the CARRIE SE..even EXIT WOUNDS. I can forgive them as they are a smaller outlet. Out of desperation to rent a few of these... I went to BB. Clueless. If its not the newest release..no clue. What got me was that they didnt even have FORREST GUMP out or EXIT WOUNDS. I had already bought GUMP so I asked about EXIT WOUNDS.."Its not out yet."..WHAT? I just saw it at BEST BUY. "Well ...it might be out for sale...but we can't rent it yet." Whats up with that?

7. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

I was working the ole 2nd job at BB last night and I wondered where Blow Out was. I too looked it up and it said 12/31/01. The buyer must have screwed up on getting this title in to the stores because no BBs in the area have it. I looked on the BB website and of course, it's available for purchase with a release date of 8/28.

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

My wife and I watched this last night (our copy came from DVD Empire). It's a film we saw together on its initial release. At the end, she pronounced the DVD to be the best the film has ever looked since the theater. I agree.
    The LD was exceptionally noisy, but this transfer is very clean and clear. The image is soft, but that reflects the original photography, and there's a blessed absence of edge enhancement. With the clarity of this presentation, I noticed even more how much the film features red, white and blue patterns at strategic moments, counterpointed by washes of lighting (green, red, sometimes blue) that give everything a slightly artificial cast. It's a world in which everything is artificial, made-up, crafted for manipulation, and classic American values have been relegated to decor. (Check out the wallpaper in the motel room where Travolta and Nancy Allen hide out after the "accident" -- then look for the same wallpaper in the "gotcha" photos that show up in Manny Karp's studio.)
    The sound is 2-channel surround, and it gets the job done. Watching the scenes of Travolta working in his studio, I couldn't help thinking what a historical artifact DePalma inadvertently created. A soundman working strictly with analogue devices: I doubt you'd find anyone doing that today!
    The only extra is a trailer, but just having the film this well-rendered is enough for me.
    M.

9. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

10. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer