Was anyone talking about this pre/pro before the crash?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean M, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

Well, in doing my part to help get the topic count back up, I'm starting this thread about what should be a very promising pre/pro.
    I'm referring to the Davis Labs Processor One. More info on it can be found here: http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/ces2.../page_09.shtml and here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=111033
    This thing has everything I've ever wanted in a pre/pro, including Faroudja deinterlacing to help simplify the switching in my setup. It even has digital audio outputs after the signal has been decoded to go to outboard DAC's. Is there any reason that I shouldn't be looking forward to this pre?

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Sean, I've seen this mentioned on another forum and it really seems like a first class unit, but I have heard very little of the actual company Davis Labs. Can you fill some of us in on a little more info? Where they based, now long have they been operating, any other products in the fold, etc.

3. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Evan, did you notice that the Davis processor will use the same processor that the "upgraded" AVM20 will use? [​IMG]

4. Brian Vaughan

Brian Vaughan Stunt Coordinator

Well, here's the "About Us" page from their website. I can't say it has a whole hell of a lot of info on it:
    http://www.davislab.com/about_01.htm
    Of course, if this processor can deliver what it's promising then I don't care how their webpage looks right now. Though I was quite encouraged to see that Mark from Perpetual Technologies and av123.com seems to be involved somehow. I've got a P1A and I don't have a single bad thing to say about it or their organization.
    Looks like I may not have to save up for the Tag AV192R now!
    Cheers, Brian

5. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

Evan, yes there is talk of this processor over at avsforum. I don't know a lot about the company myself, other than they are based in Seoul, South Korea. There is a company rep posting in the thread I linked to in my previous post. I was really just intereted in knowing whether or not the folks over here had heard of it, and if so, what they think about it. AVS has a love-love relationship with Mark Shifter and anything he touches seems to garner lots of praise over there. Not that he doesn't deserve it, I couldn't say as I've never heard one of his products. I just thought there might be a little more objectivity, if not down right skepticism, here to balance all the positive things I'm likely to hear at avs.

I am willing to wait to see what this thing sounds like and is going to sell for over here. If it coms in at $3k or under, then I'm sold. This piece has every feature that I put on my wish list for a new pre/pro receiver when I started to think about upgrading. Well, it doesn't have logic 7, but I don't have MC-12 money to spend.

6. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Not knocking this thing at all. If you look at the features and what it does for the price and it's killer looks it looks like a winner. My only question regards dealer network, servicing and reputation. I know NOTHING about this company. What if my unit goes down and needs service? Do I have to send it to Korea? Almost seems too good to be true. Usually that means it is. But that's purely conjecture on my part.

7. Roderick S

Roderick S Auditioning

would the onboard video scaling work as a scaler. If it would output 540p or 1080i to my Mitsubishi than I'm sold.....I was planning on buying a 950 and than getting a NRS scaler set for 540p......I hope this thing is as good as it sounds...

8. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

Evan, so far as I know, US distribution has yet to be worked out. Truthfully, this thing will probably end up being sold online by av123.com like the Divas. Mark Schifter is supposed to have great contacts in that part of the world and this thing would fit right into their product lineup nicely.

What we don't know, among a lot of other things, is who and how many other companies will OEM this piece, and how much they'll mark it up as a result. If the $3K MSRP had a B&M type margin built into it, then it may not get marked up much by other companies, or may be sold for a lot less online. If the MSRP has only an internet or slightly better margin, then we could see it OEM'd at some multiple of its original price.

Regarding service, well the thing is completely card based, and owning a product that uses this type of architecture already (my Sony 1271 CRT projector) I wouldn't think it should be much of an issue unless there is a catasrophic failure with the unit (i.e. the power supply fails). Otherwise, you might not even need to send it in for service, just pop the board and send it back for repair or replacement. Or, the dealer could send you the new one before hand. I'm not saying that's how it will be done, only how it could be done. Between computers and projectors, I'm a lot more comfotable with things that have removeable boards when it comes to service.

I agree, though, I'd like to know a lot more about this company before I invest my money in their product. Perhaps the company(ies) that sells it will have more of an established reputation in the U.S. to ease my fears.

9. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

I agree. There are too many unknowns about this company and the product at this time. We don't even know when it will be available.[​IMG]
    I'm sure the Mark S. is doing his homework and has done a great job with Diva and PT, but I'd be a bit cautious about a complex piece of equipment like a pre/pro w/o some history. Wait a bit of time and get the (on line) reviews going first before diving in.

10. Alex Yang

Alex Yang Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm, I might just have to check this baby out!!! [​IMG]

11. Alex Yang

Hi Guys,
    Interesting news... Davis Labs might be Sherwood!!! [​IMG]
    Read on:
    Davis Labs info:
    Of interesting news, I was just checking out their website and came across "Our Members" and it lists the KEY employees...
    It lists, Juck Hur, CEO Davis Labs and also happens to be President and CEO of Sherwood USA...!!!! Here check it out!!!
    Maybe this is the "High End" Sherwood Pre/Pro???!?!?!? [​IMG]
    Inquiring minds do WANT to know!!! [​IMG]
    -Alex
    Here's the link:
    http://www.davislab.com/about_02.htm

12. Brian Vaughan

All I can say is keep following the discussion on AVS :
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3&pagenumber=3
    One of the heads in Korea is posting now and someone just discovered that "Juck Hur, CEO Davis Labs and also happens to be President and CEO of Sherwood USA...!!!! "
    It keeps getting more interesting....

13. Brian Vaughan

You beat me by 3 minutes Alex! [​IMG]

14. Alex Yang

Brian,
    Of course I beat you to it... I'm Lonewolf69 at AVS!!! [​IMG]
    -Alex

15. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

Well, I guess that pretty much answers who, if anyone, will be OEMing this unit. I just wonder how much Sherwood would charge if (when?) they brought it out here under their label. Hopefully, they would keep the price reasonable. The only other pre/pro that I've heard of to off any kind of video processing at all is the new Tag AV192, and who knows how much that is going to cost.

16. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Quick clarifrication: The DavisLab link http://www.davislab.com/about_02.htm lists "President and CEO of Sherwood USA." as Experience for Juck Hur. It appears to me that Jack left Sherwood for Davis who is just getting started in the business. Hopefully things will become clearer, but it does not look like Davis = Sherwood to me.
    This DavisLab pre/pro looks downright scary to me.

17. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Nope... Sherwood and Davis Labs are apparently not in bed together... yet. Sherwood's old CEO is now Hatai's CEO, not CEO of both at the same time.

Here is the official word from Sherwood VP Jeff H. who says:

18. Alex Yang

Sorry about the previous post regarding Sherwood - Davis Labs, I was a little TOO excited to see a "supposed" U.S. connection!!! :b

-Alex

19. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

This was posted by Mark Schifter in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3&pagenumber=3
    "Please be patient with us for a few more days...
    We are working with one another on a sole distribution deal for this extraordinary product.
    The prices quoted were WAY (and I mean WAY) off... More about this soon...
    Please be patient with the DL guys... they are busy trying to make this into a business... :)
    All the best...
    mls"
    I don't know whether to be really worried, or really excited. Something tells me I should be worried about the price, though.

20. Alex Yang

More news about Processor One:
    Technical----------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Yes, that's right.
    All video source (composite, s-video and component) that is connected to processor one is translated to component.
    But, this is not the THX Ultra 2 specs.
    This is doesn't have relation with THX.
    2. Firewire will be supported later.
    Audio Transfering by Firewire is not fixed standard and there is no any committee or specifications for this.
    Therefore, though we made the firewire board, there is Physical and Link Layer and no fixed application layer.
    Because of this, we'll upgrade the firewire board.
    3. Bass management is processed in Digital domain and Analog domain.
    Because this management have various configurations, I can't write all about it here.
    But I can tell you that processing is various by configurations and some configurations work with digital and analog or only digital.
    *Question: What kind of 7.1 modes will this unit offer? (Eg, 7 channel stereo, 7 channel mono, "mock" logic 7 ala Lexicon?
    4. Processor one have some soundfield mode like Hall, Church, stadium and etc.
    5. We don't have the plan for AC3-RF
    *Question: Is analog bypass available for ALL sources?
    6. Yes, available for all source
    7. Yes, upgradable. Hardware and software.
    Non technical--------------------------------------------------------------
    1. We do not determine retail price.
    I can't tell you the price now and here.
    This is very important and serious thing to us.
    So, we will announce the formal informations.
    2. In our schedule, it will be available at 2002 summer or fall.
    And this is not the motorola DSP problem.
    * Question: Where will it be available? Is it going to be an exclusive for www.av123.com?
    3. I can't tell you now.
    But if you ask the question to M. Schifter, he will answered more information about this.
    *Question: Where to go for servicing?
    4. Same answer with no.3
    *Question: Can we demo it, listen to it first before buying?
    5. Our product is working version. So, we can't send the product for magazine review or test.
    But if you need some test samples for your private interest, please email to [email protected] or M. Schifter.
    6. I'll send you PDF file.
    Thank you for your interest.