What's new

Was anyone depressed by the 4/30 Frasier? (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
I mean everyone, except Frasier, looked terrible. Rhea didn't look terrible ... but she really aged. But Georege Wendt is what really did me in. He looked awful. I hope he can stay healthy. Maybe I'm just too in-tune to this stuff since I watch Cheers daily on Nick-At-Nite. So really it was a back-to-back comparison.

I wonder why Ted Danson and Woody Harrelson didn't participate in the show? The inclusion of Paul was a nice surprise though...

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Both Harrelson and Danson were on the show not too long ago (two seasons, I believe).
But, DAMN, I missed this show! I was looking forward to it, but completely forgot about it. :frowning:
What happened?

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
It was very depressing, not only because George Wendt looked so unhealthy, but because the whole show felt completely unnecessary. The way they tried to 'connect' every Frasier character to a Cheers counterpart was so labored I felt like I was watching one of those lame Jetsons/Flintstones specials.

The previous efforts with Cheers characters (Sam, Diane, Woody, Lillith) were much, much better.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I was depressed because the old Cheers characters were so unfunny (compared to the old series). And Norm did look very large...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ted danson wasnt there because he would then be competing with himself, do to the movie he was starring in on cbs.

if anyone saw the st. elsewhwere appearance on scrubbs. boy was that a dissapointment . they 4 characters that were there were on screen for barely 5 minutes. and Orderly Luther Hawkins looked awful. like he needed to be in the hospital.

god what a waste of a guest appearance.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed this episode. For me it was a mini-cheers reunion. Frasier is a great place to do these kinds of reunions because they have a staff of gifted writers who know characters. Those two hour reunion movies suck because the writing tends to be flat.

One question though: When did Sam reopen Cheers? Was it something that came up during Ted's guest appearance on Frasier? And if Cheers is open again, why would Cliff be drinking at the airport bar?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I've only seen "Last Call" once, but I was under the impression he closed Cheers. That's why Paramount needs to release it on DVD! So I can relive and remember the Cheers history.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I thought the writing was awful and deleted it from my Tivo halfway through.

The bar was not closed at the end of the series.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
From the description above (thanks, Mike!) it sounds like a pretty good shows, actually...

/Mike

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Frasier is one of my favorite shows, but this episode ranks as one of the worst ever done.

It felt like it was just something quickly thrown together for the May sweeps. The chemistry the Frasier characters have was completely lost and I thought every joke fell flat.

And what was the deal with that set? They must have spent all of $50 slapping that thing together.

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
For what it's worth, the impression I got from the Cheers finale was also that the bar remained open. It was the last scene, and Sam turned away a late customer saying that they were closed. But I took it to mean that it was always going to be him and the bar, nothing more. No love of his life, wife, kids, etc. Just my take.

I missed the Frasier episode this week, but I garnered the same impressions that are voiced here just from the previews. Too bad...

Chris Lock

Second Unit
> The bar was not closed at the end of the series.

Wasn't there a fire? Or am I remembering something else?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Chris, you're remembering something else.

The bar in Cheers was still up and running in the last episode AFAIR.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
The end of the final episode of "Cheers" where Ted Danson tells the shadow figure at the door that they were closed was significant in that it was the only time in the shows history that anyone was turned away from the bar due to it being closed. I agree that it implied that Danson's character would just keep on bartending and loving it. His last line was something like "I am the luckiest sonofabitch in the world." indicates to me that he realised finally that for all his womanizing and scheming, all he really needed to be happy was his bar and those select friends around him.

Kinda makes me miss Sam and the whole gang....

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
I don't know what show you guys were watching, because I thought it was hilarious. Carla's insanity alone was enough to get me all misty for Cheers. Daphne's taking all of Cliff's bullshit seriously was a hoot. In fact, it felt more like a Cheers episode than a Frazier one to me. It is true, however, that Norm seems to now be NormX2.:D

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Kinda makes me miss Sam and the whole gang....
I'm gonna beat this one like a dead horse... but ...
Paramount does not beleive there is a market for Cheers on DVD as it did not sell well on VHS. I have a Cheers Thread in Studio Feedback trying to get Paramount to release season 1 on DVD. If you are interested, please sign it.
Cheers on DVD

Jeffrey_Scotts

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Scott McGillivray here about the Cheers ending and what it implied. Also, I kind of took it to mean he was married, but to the bar (which is his only true love). It was never closed as others stated here as well, other episodes of Fraiser mentioned it being open like the one with Woody in it.

In regards to the Cheers reunion show, it was bad. The script was poorly written and no one was that funny except for some of Carla's lines. Also, the bar set looked just terriable as well and VERY fake. While re-doing Cheers may not have been an option, certainly doing another pub type bar would be. I half expected to see the wood braces behind that curtain/drape in the background. It was cheap and poor for the whole set, as if slapped up at the last minute.

Jeffrey

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks