Was all set to go w/ JBL NSP1 & Sony sub, please help...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by RichardH, Oct 15, 2003.

1. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I'm putting together a system for a friend, and I've been off the boards for a while, so I don't really know what the super popular recommendation is nowadays.

I do know that before the JBL NSP1 and the ubiquitous Sony sub were very tough to beat for the money. But now there's an updated NSP1 set. Is it still the one to get for the money? Where is the best place to get it? And the Sony sub has been replaced! What's the deal w/ the new version? Should I go for something else?

Probably will be paired w/ ~$300 Denon or Onkyo receiver. This will be almost entirely TV and DVD, barely any music. And, I should add, this is for an apartment, so playing loud and deep bass are not concerns.

Any help would be great. Thank you all in advance!

2. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I know there's a version I & II of the NSP1. The NSP1II has been out for a while, I think they had to change the design because of lawsuit from Bose having something to do with the design of the port. The difference between them is inaudible. I'm assuming you're talking about the NSP1II and not something newer I don't know about.

I've heard the SAWM40 and while the output is good for the money, there is another sub that I'd go with first. www.partsexpress.com sold a sub called the DLS-10(do a search for "tiny mighty" here) that had similar output as the Sony but it got rid of the boom, boom the Sony is famous for. Unfortunately that sub was discontinued but they recently replace it with another model(300-632). I've heard the 1st one but not the new one but it has been well received from those who have bought it.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=300-632

3. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

i suggest the Dayton 10" sub (the 125$ one) as a replacement for the Sony...i had the smallest Sony sub (SAW-M200?), got the Dayton, and loved it...much more tight & accurate than the Sony...also consider Fluance SX-HTB for the 5.1 speakers...i love mine, and like your friends, dont require massive amounts of loudness...they are awesome IMHO

4. RichardH

Thanks for the responses, guys. The Dayton sub looks good. Two questions now.

1. Will there be an issue of more bass leaking to downstairs neighbors because of the downward firing driver? I realize I can just turn it down. I'm wondering about downfiring vs. front-firing.

2. Where is the best/cheapest place to get the NSP-1 II ?

Thank you!

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

6. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

One of the cheapest that I have seen lately is buy.com

NSP1 Packacge $180

EDIT: Phil always know more... [​IMG], just took my suggestion.

Also etronics has it for $209

Hope it helps,
    Pablo

7. RichardH

I knew Phil would be along soon w/ JBL mentioned in the title [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks for the link. I can't believe I didn't check there first.

So, I'm pretty sure we'll go w/ the NSP1 from Buy.com, but I'm still undecided on the sub. Looks like the new Dayton is the way to go, but I'm a little concerned w/ it playing too low and the fact that it's a down-firing driver. Maybe I should go w/ something less powerful?

Funny thing is, because this is an apartment, *not* playing low bass is actually better!

This entire system is basically a hold-over for cheap until he moves into a house (maybe a few years off) and then I'll have him get something like Paradigm Ref. and some big SVS.

Thanks

8. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I had a downfiring 10" in my apartment years ago, and NEVER had an issue, and I was a bit rowdy. Really, it's not going to be a problem unless it's intentional.

Don't buy less of something, because you can ALWAYS turn it down, no matter how powerful it is.

9. RichardH

Yeah, I guess that's true. Alright, it's settled then! JBL NSP1 II and the Dayton sub!!

Thank you to everyone. Hopefully I can get pics up when it's all set up and everything. His TV is quite nice, a 50" Samsung DLP !! Next upgrade I'm pushing for him to get is a Bravo D1 connected DVI!!

10. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I will sound great. I setup a HT for a friend using NSP1II's and the original Dayton sub powered of a Pioneer VSX-D811S and it is incredible for the money. They were originally going to buy a Sony Dream system for the same amount.

11. Ken.H.C

Ken.H.C Auditioning

partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=300-632&DID=7
    (cut & paste the above as I still can't post urls here with less than 15 posts)

I'm considering the same setup as discussed here NSP1 with a Dayton 10" sub... I can't find these Dayton subs on a yahoo search so I pulled up partsexpress and found the above link... are these the ones everyone has been referring to for $125? I read in another thread Dayton Titanic for $125... but it's well over $300 on the partsexpress website... I'm confused.

If I do this, I may get a Harmon 125 or similiar priced Denon rcvr in the $200-$250 range.

12. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

That Titanic / $125 reference was a mistake. The amp is $128, the driver $139.

But don't let that make you think the Dayton 10" is a slouch just because it's cheap. That old 10" I was referring to really was good.

13. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

I just got my Dayton 10" sub today and I was just listening to it. It's a clean tight sub not boomy and all over the place. I was watching the Matrix Reloaded and there's definitely an emotional sensation coming from the bass now. I was also listening to classical music and the string bass now sounds the way it should in an orchestra.
    I was also thinking about the possibilities of two subs as I was listening, but that's in the future.