Was Aerosmith "Rocks" SACD ever released?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Williams, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams Stunt Coordinator

I found someone selling a copy of this SACD, but I don't think it was ever released. It's probably a case of the seller not knowing what they have. Can anyone help me here?

Jeff

2. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

As far as I know this was not released on SACD, but it was supposed to be. If you don't mind me asking who is selling this? That may help shed some light on why they think they have an SACD.

There are some on-line internet sellers that still have this listed on their sites, since, as I mentioned, it was on Sonys release list at at one point in the past - but it was removed. I hazard to guess these on-line retailers have failed to update their databases to indicate that ROCKS is not available on SACD.

If it truly is available - I for one HAVE to have a copy.

3. Jeff Williams

I found it over on half.com, but I am unsure as to if it is the real thing or not. There is only one copy available. Take a look and see if you think it might be the real thing.
    Jeff

4. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Ok, thank you for the link. I took a look, and this is really interesting. The picture looks like it would be an SACD - yet the SACD was never released. I am wondering if this may be a Promo copy or pre-release copy, and then the disc was never actually marketed.

I have never purchased anything on Half.com, but the price is right @ $11.80. Even if it were only the standard CD, you wouldn't be paying that much more than if you bought this somewhere else. Yes, for the regular CD you might pay a dollar less if that - so it makes me wonder.

It's a wonder that no one has even attempted to buy this, since he only has one available - and someone did ask the question on 12/11/01 if this was indeed the SACD, but the sellers response was basically non-commital.

I also noticed that they had the NEW release of "Time Out" by Dave Brubeck in MCH for the same price. That would be a steal if it indeed were the correct item.

Have you ever had any experience buying from this vendor off of half.com - i.e. - Directtoyou?

5. Jeff Williams

Unfortunately, I have never bought from this seller before. The seller's rating is quite high, but it is also scattered with complaints among the good feedback. There are a few comments in there about not having things in stock, but still selling them. That's what makes me wonder if it is really a SACD or just a misadvertised CD. I may just take the chance and if it is the standard CD, I can complain and maybe get some of the money back.

Jeff

6. Jeff Williams

Quick update, I bought it. I'll post whether or not it is the real thing or not when it arrives.

Jeff

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rocks was never released on SACD. It was announced by Sony as one of the early titles to be released on SACD, but alas, it never was. I would be curious to see what this guy is selling, but it isn't the SACD unless the seller knows someone at Sony and got a promo copy.

8. Jeff Williams

Final Update: I never received the SACD. I was told it was out of stock. I got my money back so it didn't cost anything to find out. Oh well, now we know for sure that it hasn't been released at all.

Jeff

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff, not to say "I told you", but.... I knew Rocks had not been released, but there was no harm in your trying. I did something similar last summer with the Top Gun SACD. Sony had put it on its "Upcoming Releases" list last spring, but it was taken off the list shortly thereafter and was not released. In the summer, I saw that Tower Records showed it on its web site, so I ordered a copy. About ten days later, I got an e-mail from Tower telling me the SACD was not available. Fortunately, the Top Gun SACD came out a few months later, and I picked up a copy then.

Getting back to Aerosmith, it is pathetic to see that Sony has only released Just Push Play on SACD. I don't have the SACD, but many have said that it is easily among the worst-sounding SACDs available.