Warren Lieberfarb Out At Warner HV? What Does This Mean?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_Scott, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Just read this over on another Forum.
    anyone care to verify or opine on what this may mean?
    from what i can gather, this man was a driving force in Warners dvd strategy -low price points, snappers, etc.
    Was he also the one who pushed for these big ticket restorations?

just the other day i was looking at my collection and marvelling over the consistent high quality from the WB titles.
    yes, i don't like the snappers much, but as a complaint this isn't that big a deal to me anymore.
    for quality of presentation, and sensible pricing, WB is right up there at the top.
    i can't wait for The Adventures Of Robin Hood and the other classics due in 03.
    i hope this shake-up doesn't impact these.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

This makes me somewhat nervous as well. Strange that no reason is offered. For some reason, I have a very bad feeling about this.

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Warren Lieberfarb is a great man and was a driving force behind DVD, the medium, in the first place and most of it's achievements at Warner too. He was also one of the forceful opponents of DivX, the hated concept.

I hope he goes somewhere where he can do even more for the format and I also hope Warner will continue to bring out those wonderful DVD versions, especially classic film flicks (but not those alone). And, yeah, I love the snappers.

Cees

5. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I am glad to hear this. I didn't really like the directions he was trying to take the DVD industry in:

I was under the impression that Lieberfarb wanted to minimize special feature content. I don't think he ever said this, but it's a logical conclusion considering he was trying to lower the sell-thru prices of DVD.

He was trying to bring down the price of DVD to less than ten dollars and get rid of the rental market. He didn't just want to get rid of Blockbuster - but everyone else as well.

He wanted you to buy DVDs, on impulse, at supermarkets and, even worse, at Walmart. Even though it might not have been his intention, this likely would have meant more full screen.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    This is a real pity...

I hope WHV keeps up the good work without him. His last big decision was to release the 1918-1959 Chaplin films through Warner... I hope they don't change their mind!

7. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Re: "He was trying to bring down the price of DVD to less than ten dollars ..... he wanted you to buy DVDs on impulse."

The monster! The nerve of him! DVDs under $10! How dare he! And we all know, don't we, that DVD collectors NEVER buy on impulse, now don't we?

But seriously folks, Lieberfarb has done the DVD format a great service and I hope his successor continues the Lieberfarb tradition.

8. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

He was also a big advocate for rental pricing on DVDs.
    Aside from that, he was the true pioneer of DVD, and was one of the driving forces in trying to get all the studios to get behind DVD, as well as (according to an article in Time...or was it Newsweek?) played a part in convincing Spielberg to finally jump on board. Unfortunately, with WB being the biggest offender in regards to the "screw art, just show us profits!" business philosophy (especially after the hideous AOL merger), I fear this may be a bad sign in terms of the quality of upcoming Warner releases, and the availability of OAR material. Oh well, I'll always have fond memories of Lieberfarb and Richard Sharp verbally sparring over the DIVX fiasco. If you can find it, I highly recommending digging up that aforementioned article, as it was basically a history of Lieberfarb's crusade to bring his "movie on a CD" to fruition.

9. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Well, Warren isn't the only good person at WHV...the rest of the people at WHV will still be able to keep things afloat, I'm sure...

10. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    Lieberfarb didn't like extra value content???
    Wow, it's amazing how many SE's got by him! [​IMG]

12. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

13. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Well, extra features cost money to produce. Look at Disney. Had WHV continued to bring down prices on DVDs, I think there would be less special features as well.

Bringing down prices on DVDs is a bad thing. The way they are now is fine. Making them even more affordable will make them appeal more to the average consumer for more than just the hot new releases. That means movie snobs like us will be outnumbered even more... which in turn means more full screen. You think our voices are lost now? If Cats and Dogs had been released today, exclusively in full screen, our petitions would have been useless. We aren't the force that we once were - at least not for new releases. For catalog titles we are still important to the studios, but that could change if (dare I name him) J6P starts buying more and more 'classic' films.

I'm grateful to Warren Lieberfarb for what he has done to push DVD, but you guys are acting like he invented it. And remember those early WB releases? Full screen. We're still stuck with a lot of them today.

14. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Did he also have anything to do with Warner's DVD-A strategy?

15. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

16. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

In the articles I read, I didn't get the impression that Lieberfarb was in favor of rental pricing so much as higher prices for new releases and lower prices for catalog titles.

17. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

18. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

He was a big proponent of Pay Per View everything, only controlled by the WB.

That's why he wanted to topple the Blockbusters of the world, not because he was a friend of the consumer or anything remotely generous.

Dan

19. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Warners transfers have been outstanding - in OAR - as of late. Prices have been very good too. I have been happy with my recent purchases.

20. Matthew Kiernan

Matthew Kiernan Stunt Coordinator