What's new

Warranty if not from Authorized Dealer? (1 Viewer)

greg149

Auditioning
Real Name
greg
What is the story on buying equipment from on-line sources and warranty coverage. I received a proposal from a local installer and everything was listed at manufacturers full retail. I checked and most items can be found on-line at discounts. My installer cautioned me about buying from discount dealers because the manufacturer will not honor the warranty if not purchased from an "authorized" dealer.

Example...I am considering the InFocus 7210 projector...retails for $5995 with a $1000 rebate from authorized dealers....but it can be found as low as $3599 on-line.

What should I do? Pay full price for projector, receiver, speakers....

Thanks, greg

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Are you having a local installer do all the work? Is this installer an authorized Infocus dealer? Infocus is one company that will not honor your warranty if you buy from an unauthorized dealer. It says so right on their website. I'm not sure about other projector companies. That's a nice Dark Chip 3 projector, but even at $3599, it's overpriced and a little outdated. The new Dark Chip 3 projectors are much lower that that. There's no way I'd pay full price for projector, receiver, speakers. But I did all the work myself with my projector and equipment. Maybe you can buy all the equipment and make a deal with the installer just for labor. But he probably won't want to do that because he won't have the profit on all the equipment.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
It depends. I'm not familiar with in-focus, but there are often authorized online dealers for products, and sometimes not. If you are purchasing from an unauthorized reseller, then your warranty will be void.

If you are purchasing from an authorized seller, then your warranty will be ok.

I think AVS is a dealer for infocus, for instance, and they are online. Sometimes there are restrictions and things like that, etc, you should talk with the seller and make sure they are authorized as a dealer and ask about that stuff. If you are in doubt, you can contact the manufacturer in question and they will tell you whether or not the seller in question is indeed an authorized dealer or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks