Warranty experiences

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonMan, Feb 12, 2003.

1. JasonMan

JasonMan Extra

What have your experiences been with warranty service/claims? I am wondering whether it is better to go with the manufacturer recommended warranty or to buy a reputable third party policy. I know that Toshiba's recommended warranty provider (National Warranty Corporation) runs about $419.95 for 4 years of coverage. I talked to Hitachi's recommended warranty provider (Satisfusion) and a 4 year warranty costs $499. I looked for a reputable 3rd party provider and found that a 4 year Philips warranty can be had for about $300 (depending on the cost of the TV). Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with manufacturer and/or 3rd party warranties?

2. Chris Church

Chris Church Auditioning

Not sure if this directly addreses your question, but of all places/providers, I've recently had a(n eventual) good experience with Sears on an extended warranty for a 36" WEGA.

I noticed a minor shift of text in DVD credits, as an example, and had Sears come out to take a look. Long story short... the techs they sent were clue-free, but in the end, when I complained enough, they replaced the 3 year old TV with a credit for an equivalent replacement. I'm not happy that I had to get nasty to get a manager to pay attention to the techs not knowing what to troubleshoot or replace, but I have to say in the end, they did the right thing.

I replaced the 36" WEGA direct view with a brand new 57" rear projection... I definately like the results!

Chris