Warranty Cards?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Watson, Feb 3, 2003.

1. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I bought a new monitor last year, and a few months later didn't know where I'd put the receipt. And I had never sent in the Warranty registration card in the box. In fact I rarely send in those cards anymore.

Well, the receipt turned up a few weeks ago, and the monitor is working fine, but it makes me wonder, if I couldn't find a receipt, but had registered the purchase, would the manufacturer have a legal obligation to give me warranty service?

And as I have the receipt, but had not registered the purchase, could the manufacturer legally or ethically refuse to honour the warranty service because the purchase had not been registered?

2. David-S

David-S Second Unit

They cannot (legally) refuse warranty service if you don't send the card in, not sure about the other way around...

3. Joe McKeown

Joe McKeown Stunt Coordinator

The card doesn't prove you purchased the monitor. It could be stolen. I suspect they would want the actual proof of purchase...

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Most monitors have the date stamped on the back too. So if you get service before that runs out it youshould be fine.

5. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

US consumer laws basically state that your proof-of-purchase is your warranty registration and that you can't be forced to send in information to register a warranty. Warranties in the US are almost always transferrable also.

If you can't find the receipt or you received something as a gift most manufacturer's consumer relations departments will issue you a letter of "proof of purchase" upon request. If you have a cash register receipt that doesn't state the make and model you might want to request such a letter also. Some warranty departments of major manufacturers have decided that a general receipt without model information does not constitute a valid "bill of sale".

6. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I never send those "warranty" cards in either. They are just another way for companies to add you to their mailing and phone lists, all while collecting even more demographic information about you.

In the past year and a half, I have had to RMA about 30 monitors (for work). The monitors were all junk, I have no idea how my company acquired them but I know for sure they weren't purchased with a company account. Meaning, the monitors weren't in the manufacturer's system as belonging to a corporate account, or anything like that. The monitors carried a standard 3 year warranty so they take the date stamped on the back and add 3 years, 3 months (to account for time to get from the factory to you). Seemed reasonable to me.