Warranty. . . a place I hope I never have to go

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle_Y, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

I'm thinking of buying an Onkyo 797. If I buy the 797 from an authorized e-retailer, then will my one and only local authorized Onkyo service center(a small electronics shop) be obligated to fix it? I have heard some horror stories about the Onkyo customer service with the customers who bought the 676 and had center channel cut-out and receiver failure, none of which was fixable by Onkyo. So will I be safe purchasing it from an authorized e-retailer, or should I try to work the price down at my local Circuit City? I'd rather buy it from Circuit City, but they sell their Onkyo products at MSRP with no discount whatsoever. So is it safe buting from authorized e-retailers?

2. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

If you buy from an authorized dealer, any local Onkyo service center will be able to fix your receiver under warranty. What you will miss out on is the ability to walk into a Circuit City and make the store managers life so miserable that they are forced to give you a new if yours breaks. It's very easy to get those extras out of a retailer that charges full price on their equipment then an online retailer operating at much lower margins.
    That being said, I bought my 898 from an online retailer because I saved five hundred dollars. That's worth a little inconvenience to me.
    - Jeff
    ------------------
    My Homepage