warping DVD jackets due to humidity- Anyone else experiencing this?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul_Scott, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i'll take some pictures later and post them- but i'm just curious if anyone else is finding this a really annoying problem?
    what's happening is a wrinkling of the cover art that is under the clear plastic of the amray/alpha boxes.
    some of the jacket sheets look like the been dipped in water the wrinkling has become so extreme-
    but what really bugs me is that this isn't an across the board problem.
    it seems that with some jackets this is a severe problem and has defintiely gotten worse over time, and yet with others, that have been in the same environment for the same amount of time or longer, this doesn't seem to register at all.
    i'm usually pretty anal about condition and to pull out a disc to read the liner notes or just admire the art and then see the beautiful package on a $40 disc reduced to a waterlogged mess is very disappointing.

needless to say, i'm also concerned about if/how this may be affecting the actual discs themselves

i've been storing my dvds in a basement HT for about 3 yrs now.
    during the summer we have a dehumidifier going most of the time, and there have only been a few occasions where i've gone down there and could tangibly feel humid air.
    most of the year, its quite dry (we've never had any flooding or seepage so far).

2. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Second Unit

I'm guessing that the covers will go back to their regular shape once the humidity is gone. I don't think I've ever had my DVDs do this, but when it gets humid where I live, books and magazines will develop waves or ripples across the pages. Like I'll have a book, a trade paperback with 300-400 pages, and the whole thing will just look warped, like its been dipped in water. But they always go back to their regular shape when the humidity goes away.

If some covers, and not others, are being effected, then it's likely due to the kind of paper used. Some kinds of paper will hold up better under humid conditions than others.

3. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i wish that were the case Joshua- but some of the worst offenders like my copy of Criterions And God Created Woman has just gotten progressivly worse over the last couple years (when i first noticed).

yeah, i would assume its the paper stock.
    who would have thunk that the cases for some of my relatively el cheapo titles would have held up better than my $40 Criterions.

4. Scott_Lemon

Scott_Lemon Auditioning

I found this problem on about 10 titles - you get this "wave" through the paper insert. I can't remember the titles off the top of my head, but from memory there were a few more from one studio, so I suspect you are right about the paper stock they use.

As you've discovered, it's REALLY annoying - my copy of Saving Private Ryan looked like it had been dunked in a vat of water and dried in the sun. Bad news is that the ripple doesn't disappear, but you can flatten it with an iron on low heat.

I posted to a newsgroup and someone gave me a heap of information on protecting paper from humidity. The solution is to store your DVDs with silica gel, which will draw the water out of the air. I would have though a dehumidifier would do the same thing (I was planning to use one in my HT room) so that's a little disturbing.

Anyway, I have been storing my DVDs with silica gel sachets, hopefully the problem has been arrested.

5. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

interesting Scott.
    i'll look into both the iron and the silica solutions.

i was wondering if i would have to 're-humidify' the paper before i attempted to press the wrinkles out.
    did you use a dry heat setting?
    i'm assuming you had the actual paper btween some other surfaces like fabric or heavy paper stock before you went over them.

is the silica like a packet that you would keep in a cabinet with your dvds- or is this like a comic book bag that you would use for every single case?

edit: ok i see the word sachet now- so this would be like a little baggie that you keep in the cabinet.
    any idea where to buy these?

6. Scott_Lemon

Scott_Lemon Auditioning

The iron was the first thing that I tried after I found some of the inserts had the problem. The ripple seems to be worst just at the top and bottom edges of the paper, where the moisture is getting in from the air. A quick iron on the back of the paper, on low-medium heat with a cotton cloth protecting the paper was good enough for me.

The main thing is to keep air away from the DVDs as much as possible. I got myself a bunch of big airtight plastic bins and keep all my DVDs in there, until I get myself some shelving with closable doors. I chucked a couple of silica gel sachets into each box as well, hopefully that will keep the moisture at bay. You can also buy loose silica gel, this will absorb the moisture in the air and it can be reused by reheating it in your oven.

7. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I've also had this problem with a few titles. They were mostly older titles, and I was trying to figure out why only a few were affected. I figured out the "warping" cover sheets were just a bit too large for the case. This was a problem with many of the early DVD's.

When humidity is present, the paper sheet (being a wood-based product) will expand. In a tight case, there's nowhere for it to expand, so it will buckle and appear "warped". If you pull out the sleeves of your affected titles and compare them to newly produced ones, you'll probably find they are slightly wider. I simply gave the cover sheets of these affected titles a very slight trimming, and the problem was solved. I haven't had the problem since.

Newer DVD's have a bit more room for the cover sleeves, since they've pretty much standardized the automated packaging of DVD's.

8. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Exactly, I don’t know about the humidity but I’m sure it’s a problem with the case being too small. When I put those covers in another bigger DVD case, the problem is solved.

9. I'd say that about 5-10% of my collection has been affected by this *annoying* problem.

There's no pattern whatsoever (new, used, original case or not).

I suspect humidity in some cases.

Other times, it's probably the case itself.

Tried double-sided poster tape to stretch the insert a bit.

This approach failed miserably...