Warped Sonotube...fix?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Gilvey, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I picked up a 12' section of 16" Sonotube from a local lumberyard today for $20, but the thing is quite distorted with an almost oval cross-section (that's why I got it cheap, it had apparently been laying just where it was for quite some time). I've never had one quite this bad...how do you guys remedy this? Should I bother to try and get it circular, or should I just use a circular brace at the midpoint? It's for a vented Shiva for a friend, and it'll wind up being about 3' long.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

With that length I'd imagine proper fitting endcaps would straighten it out just fine. My 18" tubing wasn't rigid enough to hold a perfectly circular shape. But even at over 5' in length, as soon as the endcaps went in, it was a perfect rigid circle from top to bottom.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Stop the presses! Jack's doing a sonosub? Whoa!

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Jack

Dustin wins the prize!

Just cut the endcaps to the proper size for the tube and they'll make it round again.

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Oh and I'm sure you've already thought of this Jack [​IMG] but just incase I'll throw it out there.
    Measure the circumfrence of your tube and use that to calculate the actual inner diameter (accounting for the tubes actual thickness). Kinda tough to get an actual inner diameter any other way from a warped circle.
    PS, Thomas, when will the prize be arriving and what is it? You have my address already or do you need it still :p)

6. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

7. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Jack,

You might also want to consider using something like a ratcheting cable/strap to crank it into a round position before putting in the end cap.

It really helped when I was putting mine together...Mike

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Oh come on Jack! Don't you know that if you let it sit the other way for 2 years, it will become a circle again?

9. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Jack,

Another trick that might help is to rout a chamber around the edge of the inner endcap to taper it so it may help round the tube as you force it in.