Warped LDs...any cures?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Stryker, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

My wife left a couple of my LDs in her car while we were moving, and some have developed a noticable warp that keeps them from playing past 30 minutes in. Has anyone fixed a problem like this?
    -Matt
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

2. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

3. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Nope.....warped Laserdiscs are about as good as Happy Fun Ball.

4. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    It depends on how bad the warp is. It sounds like it's only slightly warped, so you can try to flatten them out.
    You take two pieces of glass, place the disc between them and then put a heavy weight (phone books, etc) and leave it there for a day or two.
    You can of course come up with whatever you have to do the same thing. But, it doesn't always work. The discs will be flat again, but sometimes the programming is still corrupted.
    But, it's worth a shot if they're rare or good Lasers.

5. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I don't think Firestorm DTS counts as rare or good, but I'll try the glass thing. And she was really apologetic and said nothing when I brought home the Monty Python box set from Costco.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Matt, what Chad suggested is well worth trying. It's worked for me in the past, if the warp wasn't too severe.
    The thicker the glass, the better. Also, be sure to position the glass and the LD between them on a surface that's flat and level. Don't worry about piling on too much weight. A couple of unabridged dictionaries (or the equivalent) will do nicely.
    Good luck!
    M.

7. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    ...here in L.A. you just set 'em back out in the sun...but you gotta be quick...after about 10 minutes they turn to jello!!!lol

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

John has a good idea. Heat them up a little first. It isn't that far off from unwarping an old 33-1/3 record album, which I have done. The bits should be easier to deal with than the record grooves.
    A faster way is to use an oven! Yeah, no kidding! Heat it up and turn it back off. When it's down to less than 200, put it in for a few minutes and then put it between the glass.
    Glenn

9. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I've done the press between glass thing with success. But, if it still has a warp (don't rely on visual inspection - place the disc on a flat surface - both sides! - and check it that way. If there's even a little warp, don't play it - you could damage your player. If your machine starts making funny noises on startup or during play, get that disc out of there, now!
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV