What's new

Warning to fellow DVD renters (1 Viewer)

Jacob_St

Second Unit
Spy Game is being released in seperate Full Frame and Widescreen versions. My video store will only be carrying the FF. I hope this isn't a very good film because now I won't be able to watch it. I hope other renters have better luck at their stores.

Terry H

Second Unit
No luck here. :angry: If there is an OAR and a P&S release the local mom & pop video will only have P&S because that is what most of the untutored people around here demand. I like the store well enough... they have "twofer tuesday" when you can rent two movies for the price of one on, you guessed it, tuesday. I tried to talk to the owner and got lots of sympathy but no good result. "Sorry but I have to buy what most people want." Bottom line - if I wish to see it I have to buy it. If I dislike the film it goes to ebay/half. Simply a fact of life in a rural area.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
"Sorry but I have to buy what most people want."
Most people wouldn't even know separate versions existed if rental shops didn't buy them. J6P doesn't live and breathe DVD specs like we do.
They're not responding to a market demand, they're creating it.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I just quit working for ballbuster, and the versions we got at the store I was at was Widescreen(and quite a great transfer to boot)

The WS version has silver banners on the cover, the pan and scam I dont know

Jacob_St

Second Unit
I really hope Universal isn't delaying Gosford Park so they can release a seperate Pan and Scan version. I'll be so pissed if I can't rent that flick! I guess I'm going to have to start renting on line. Obviously these local video stores don't want my business.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Most people wouldn't even know separate versions existed if rental shops didn't buy them. J6P doesn't live and breathe DVD specs like we do.
That is absolutely right. Infact I have always felt the studios themselves have created this problem by offering Pan & Scan as an option. If they were to only release OAR no one would have a real problem with it. It's not like the Joe Packs really care that much about the film presentations anyhow.

Sanjay

Member since 1997

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
actually you should watch out where ever you go. on tue, or wed we will start seeing threads about how somebody acidently bought the full frame version.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I've been to three different Blockbusters in three different towns stretching across the western half of the state (I have to travel a lot, and drop in for a sec just out of curiosity on the OAR issue), and they all only had widescreen versions of A.I. Hopefully they didn't just do this because they thought the movie's main market was "enthusiasts" like us, and keep the pan and scan policy on more mainstream titles. On a side note, I visted the Hollywood Video in the town I will be moving to shortly, and was pleasantly surprised to see that they stock only widescreen, even on comedies like American Pie 2.....also had a very nice selection of genre titles I'd like to try before I buy. Seems like with every battle we win, we still lose the war. We get the rental chains to start stocking widescreen, only to have the studios start releasing things ONLY in P&S to begin with (Snow Dogs, Max Keeble). The fight against DIVX seems like SUCH a small scuffle now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks