Warning to Bell Sympatico Customers in Canada

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris Bardon, May 30, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Just found out some disturbing news-Sympatico has implemented a bandwidth usage limit for DSL, which will become effective as of your June billing period. I never saw any sort of notice about this, but it came up in conversation yesterday, and a check of the sympatico website conformed it. They're going to a 5 Gb upload/5 Gb Download limit, with extra bandwidth at $7.90/Gb.

Would have been nice if they at least TOLD us about it...

2. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

It's actually a way to force people to "upgrade" to the Ultra High Speed connection ($69.95/month).
    I received an email about this a few weeks ago:

3. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

Do you guys know if rogers will do the same thing for their high speed service??? My guess is they most certainly will but in the event that they don't, i'll seriously consider switching.

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

There was a story on slashdot I believe a while ago about time warner with roadrunner threatening to do this. This kind of stuff really annoys me. The advertise it as always on and yet charge people more if they really do keep it always on. My home pc IS always on. I'm always connected. There is always some data going between my pc and the outside. I can only imagine how much bandwidth I'm using. You could easily hit 1GB in a month. I bet I could hit 5 if I really tried. Just think of all those 100-200MB game demos downloaded every month. Streaming video and music, chat and email. Hey if they start charging for going over bandwidth that means the spam I get actually might cost me money. Can we pass that back to the companies that sent it to us?

5. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I knew it was just a question of "when" and not "why". Much of this was probably brought on with the arrival of all the new file sharing applications in the last few months. Over at the Broadband Reports forums, one Sympatico subscriber was complaining about the new policy, stating it would get in the way of his average monthly 80 GB data transfers.
    Yes! 80 GIGABYTES! Per month!
    Now I can understand why 5 GB would not enough and 10 GB would be a much better deal for current subscribers, but 80 GB...
    One interesting by-product though. It would certainly cut down on the number of movies downloaded before their actual theatrical runs! [​IMG]

6. Chris Bardon

I know that Rogers has introduced a high speed "light" service, which is 1/3 the speed of regular cable, but I think that bandwidth caps are just a matter of time.

The way I see it, since we're probably going over on the 5 Gb anyhow, might as well go for the "Ultra" version-the extra speed couldn't hurt either.

7. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

I used to download over 30GB per month, but lately I've gone down to 5-6GB per month. Paying $69.95 for increased speed isn't really worth it for me, because Cable is even faster and costs slightly less than DSL.

8. Chris Bardon

Cable is still faster, true, but there's a $10 premium if you don't subscribe to Cable TV. Since I have a Satellite dish, I have no need (or desire) to go back to cable, so it might just be worth it.

Now that I think about it, can Cable get 3000 downstream? That's what they're advertising it as anyway...

9. Chris Bardon

Update-I just got an email saying that they've not only removed the caps, but increased the modem speed to a max of 1.5 Mb/s as opposed to 1Mb/s, and the best part is, no price increase (still $45/month). They've also introduced the "DSL Light" package, that gives you the 1.5 Meg service with 2 Gb of traffic for $30/month.

Guess that they lost a pile of people to Rogers...

10. BradyB

BradyB Stunt Coordinator

There was also a court case involving the CRTC(Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission). The CRTC beleived that putting caps on internet usage was against some obscure law. I know for a fact that Rogers did not implement a bandwidth limit due to this continuing court case. Anyone know if the CRTC won?
    As you say Chris, they probably just lost a crap load of customers, including me [​IMG]

11. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

About Rogers:
    I got an email about two weeks ago asking me if I would like to take part in testing their new billing software... Rogers wants to add downloading caps. No word yet on what the cap is, or how much extra the charges would be.
    I ignored the email, and if Rogers implements caps, I'll be switching to Bell very quickly.
    Rogers also has speed caps at 1.5 Mbit/s down/ 192k up.
    check http://rbua.org for more info..

12. Chris Bardon

I thought they had implemented a cap on Rogers, but I could be wrong. Either way, I'm liking this new policy Bell has about actually giving you some value for your $45 a month. Still a little overpriced, but there's not much else in the way of other viable options.