WARNING - Tannoy Dual Concentric - caveot emptor

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by MarkHor, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkHor

MarkHor Auditioning

If you are contemplating the purchase of a set of Tannoy Dual Concentric speakers you may want to read the following...

For many years now I've held the Tannoy brand in high esteem. I promised myself I would someday aquire a set of Tannoy speakers. Recently I took the plunge and purchased the following as my Home Theatre setup
    2 Saturn S10, 2 Saturn S8, 2 Saturn S8C and 1 Eyris DCC
    The Saturn line has now been discontinued but the Eyris line is a main stream speaker for Tannoy these days

It took less than a week for me to discover there was something horribly wrong with these speakers.

At certain elevated listening levels and only with specific recordings the speakers would "buzz". It's a scratchy kind of a sound, not easy to describe but certainly obvious when you hear it. When it happens you can actually see the speaker cones bottoming out.

For weeks I tried an assortment of equipment trying to discover the root cause. I tried 4 different applifiers/receivers, different cables, reflex port plugs,different recordings, different speakers. In one setup (with a high power receiver), only the S10 and the DCC would exhibit this buzzing. In one setup (with a high end receiver) only the DCC would buzz. The Eyris DCC speaker seemed to be the worst as it would buzz to some degree in all my test setups. Only when I used speakers OTHER than the Dual Concentric ones did I get rid of the buzzing altogether.

I was more than surprised by these results. I had read nothing but good reviews about Tannoy Dual Concentric speakers. I first sought the help of my dealer to help me resolve this issue. I had my dealer and their technical guru over to my house for a live demonstration of the buzzing problem. I am able to reproduce the problem at will.

My dealer blamed just about everything BUT the speakers. At one point they blamed the high db levels. I was told not to play the music so loud. I thought this was horse pucky. I could not duplicate this problem on any other non Dual Concentric speaker, no matter the loudness level. Even the Eyris non Dual Concentric could be operated
    at ear deafening levels without any sign of buzzing. Yes higher volumes are a factor in bringing out the problem more frequently but the buzzing can sometimes be heard from time to time at normal listening levels

Then the quality of the recording I was using to produce the buzz was blamed. Within short order I was able to come up with other recordings that was produce a similiar noise. For those of you who might be interested try these recordings...
    O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack, track 3 You are My Sunshine (near the beginning)
    Kate Bush, The Whole Story, track 2 CloudBusting (about a minute in)

My amplifier was also blamed (because it was more than 10 years old). I took my recording into the dealer's own listening room. We sampled more than half a dozen speakers on display with the dealers own amplifier and I was able to reproduce the buzz problem but only on the Eyris Dual Concentric speakers. All others including the Tannoy NON dual concentric speakers were just fine.

My dealer was trying to talk me out of the problem and was not offering any credible solutions so I brought the issue to the North Americian distributor for Tannoy. If anyone would know about a limitation in the Dual Concentric design if would be the manufacturer. At first they seemed to be genuinely interested in making sure this issue got resolved but in the end that was just more rhetoric. The problem remains.

Neither my dealer nor the distributor would acknowledge that anything could be wrong with the design of these speakers. I got comments like we've been selling Dual Concentric speakers for years and you are the first to bring up such a problem. (I don't believe this)

I also sent a problem description to the Tannoy headoffice asking for their help. They obviously have more experience with these speakers than I do, I was hoping they might help by disclosing information about this problem. I too found it find it hard to believe I was the only one with such an issue. Car manufacturers often know about products defects and limitations long before they become public knowledge. This is usually sensitive information that would hurt sales if disclosed. In my situation I needed some of this information released to help convince my dealer there is in fact something wrong with these speakers. Tannoy headoffice didn't even respond to either of the 2 emails I sent them. I know I had a valid email address as they responded the next day when I asked questions about the avalability of the discontinued Saturn line.

I invited Tannoy North America reps over to my house to hear the problem for themselves but so far they have not accepted. When I couple this with the lack of response from Tannoy headoffice and the finger pointing by my dealer I'm even more convinced now that my compliants about Tannoy Dual Concentric speakers are valid.

To me this speaker buzzing is a serious defect and I decided I wanted to return the speakers. My dealer refused to take the speakers back and refund my money. For the record my dealer is Bleeker Stereo and TV Ltd of Nepean Ontario. I won't be purchasing anything from this business in the future.

So after all this my advise would be to thoroughly test any Dual Concentric speakers before putting down any cash and it wouldn't hurt to find a dealer with a consumer friendly return policy. These days so many places have customer satisfaction policies and will take things back without too much hassle I rarely ask anymore (should have this time). Unfortunately there are still some small businesses out there (like Bleeker) who are more interested in the bottom line. Get assurances you can return them if you have any buzzing problems.

M

2. David Bikeman

David Bikeman Stunt Coordinator

Companies like Ascend, AV123, SVS and several others have great return policies as well as a "your problem is our problem" attitude. Why go to a store that dosen't put that type of attitude in writing? We pay a sizable premium to do business with a B & M so why expect less for the added expense?

David

3. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Here we go again. Since you're intent on plastering the net with your tale of woe, the correct spelling is caveAt not caveot.

BTW, has anything changed since you made the EXACT same post on AVS on August 8? I'd say beware of someone who comes, posts and runs (which is what you did on AVS): 4 total posts in a month all on the same subject. Sheesh.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    All the more reason to never pay cash for a large purchase like this. Put in on a credit card – that way you have some bargaining power if a problem arises.

“Return” policy aside, there is this little thing called a “warranty.” If the speakers exhibit the same problem in the dealer’s showroom, with their own equipment, they should be willing to honor the warranty and replace them, or at least give you credit towards some other speakers they sell.

If not you should have some legal remedies. Don’t know about where you live, Mark, but here in the States manufacturers are required by law to honor their warranties.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

I have seen this exact post before (I'm not sure if it was on this forum or another one).

Have you posted this in the past? If so, why are you posting it again?

6. Charlie C

Charlie C Stunt Coordinator

"I have seen this exact post before "

Well he couldnt have posted it here, cause its his first pos. sounds like an anti Tannoy person, or someone who really got a raw deal using 'dual concentrics' and wants every AV web site to know about it. it is good information, but I trust my ears, when it comes to purchases and whatnot, not someone elses opinion.

I dont think MarkHor will be responding to any of this.

7. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

8. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Yeah.

Well thanks for letting us know, and given the history of this tale on AVS, I don't think we need to discuss it all over.

So I'll leave it here, but close the thread for discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.