What's new

Warning: Spoilers in House DVD Menus (1 Viewer)

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Hey all,

Just a heads up. I have been watching Season 1 of House on DVD (despite my misgivings about it being non-anamorphic) and I was shocked by how much information is given in the episode index. When you select an episode, you see a synopsis that literally ruins many episodes. "The Socratic Method" is a particularly bad one. Anyways, if you are new to the show or any of the episodes, I HIGHLY recommend that you do NOT read the synopsis before each episode. I will never understand putting spoilers on DVDs like this.

Anyways, I am loving catching up on the show since I only recently started watchting the reruns on Fox. Just watch out for those menus...don't let them ruin it for you.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

They probably do it so people will be able to locate an episode since not everyone is going to know an episode by its title. You know if a person said "Oh, what was the episode where House did..." Then you see the synopsis and you can find it.

I agree it's dumb (and probably unneeded) but that's probably why:)

ZackR

Supporting Actor
You are probably right. Too bad they can't just describe the episode like "The one with the nuns" or something...

ZackR

Supporting Actor
That's funny. I wasn't thinking about that. :)

Seriously though, that would be much better than spoiling the show!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

As I am presently reviewing this for HTF, I am asking the same question.

How can I tell? Is there a definitive list of the music used on each show?

Thanks - Steve

P.S.: What an *awesome* show! I only caught a couple during its original run, and I am really enjoying getting the massive dose of episodes.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Me too, Steve. I am loving it. I have seen about half the season in reruns over the summer, but I am watching the whole season in order now. This is the first show in some time that I have really gotten into. As far as music goes, so far, everything appears as I remember it in the episodes I have seen, though I could be wrong. Supposedly, the opening theme was replaced in the U.K. (Teardrop, by Massive Attack) but all appears intact on the DVDs - at least there has been nothing I have noticed.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The studios assume - and not without reason - that most of the people who spend 50 to 100 bucks buying a series on DVD are people who are already fans of the show and have seen most or all of the episodes. Hence they tend not to think in terms of "spoilers". It is true that some further thought should make them realize that the same discs may be used to introduce new viewers to a show and that blind buys happen, but marketing/production decisions tend to be driven by assumptions about the person buying the product, not all the others who may someday be using it. Probably another of those areas where the studios need the fans to educate them.

BTW, this isn't exactly a new problem. Studios are notorious for cutting together episode previews that give away huge plot points and for including spoilers in the blurbs supplied to various print and on-screen program guides. (I haven't seen the House discs yet, but I would not be surprised if the offending synopses were not simply the blurbs released for each episode while the season was airing, transcribed to DVD.)

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks