What's new

Warning: Speaker Scam! (1 Viewer)

Michael_V

Second Unit
Just wanted to give a heads-up regarding a fairly popular scam going on these days:
Two guys in a van are stopping people and offering to sell Audiofile 830LR floor-standing speakers at a huge discount. These guys pose as delivery people who were "accidentally" given a couple extra sets of speakers and want to sell them at a "huge loss" to make a personal profit. They approached me here in Virginia, but there are reports being posted at www.badbusinessbureau.com of similar characters doing the same all over the country. Not only are the speakers themselves poor quality, but apparently some people have been physically beaten and robbed by the sellers.

RobertGeo

Agent
dont listen to Michael_V! we have never beaten anyone up!! so is anyone looking for some klipsch ref.7 speaker? we have some extra and selling out for half price!!! j/k
its a crazy world!! anything can happen today!! rob
ps// by the way i have a black van now;)

MarkO

Second Unit
They run an add in my paper looking for new hires all the time. They have been in buisness for at least 15 years as far as i can tell.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
MarkO,
We've been in business for 20 YEARS, thank you very much, and we've never beaten anyone up unless we were absolutely sure we could get away with it. :)

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Someone posted this link in one of the threads listed above, but I think it's worth putting in this one as well. After you read the stuff on the first page, be sure to check out some of the testimonials from people who have been taken in by this scam.
I must admit that I'm interested in seeing what these guys are like in their sales. It would feel very good to just tell them to fuck off.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
This was going on here in Denver last year around this time. They ended up doing a big news story and got them all on camera. Same thing, white boxed speakers.

Mitch E S

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a pair of these 23 years ago. They told me they were installing them in restaurant chains and had a couple extras. I gave them to a friend a few years back. I remember they said "Liquid Cooled" on them, I still don't know what that means ?:)

Blair Gifford

Stunt Coordinator
They approached me when I was driving to work one time. They drove up on my left side and started telling me to pull over. The guy said the same things that have been stated all over this thread. I told him I was busy and they got hostile telling me I was crazy to pass them up. I told them to "eat my ass" and rolled up my window. They just went away.

blair

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
An audiophile magazine did a review of these type of speakers a few years ago for kicks (Sound and Vision I think). It was a great review...these "expensive" speakers had less that $15 worth of parts in them...enclosures and all. And by the way, there weren't any crossovers in them and the tweeters weren't even hooked up.

erikk

Stunt Coordinator
The funniest thing about it is that its a legal marketing technique and apparently fairly effective. I imagine tho that some of the low-lifes do something illegal with it (god knows I doubt any of them pay taxes on it).

The old adage is so often true it often is forgotten: if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks