Warning on forthcoming Taken set from Universal

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Andrew Bunk, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I searched and did not find any thread on this yet...

From the Digital Bits:

2. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Universal is really becoming the worst studio for DVD. Between releasing 40 versions of their flicks , to general bad Q& A issues ala Meaning of Life and Back to the future.

It'll be interesting to see how the Battlestar Galactica set comes out. I was going to preorder now I'll wait for a review.

3. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Insider
    Insider

Just FYI on this... we're talking with Deluxe (who did the authoring) and DreamWorks to try to track down the issue.

That said, we've received e-mails from several other online reviewers who have confirmed that they've seen the same problem with the discs. There is a definite issue with these discs.

4. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

So if I understand correctly, if we watch this on a normal DVD player and in the interlaced mode, we are not going to see that flag problem, right?

5. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Insider
    Insider

I believe that is correct, yes. The problem is the same one that Universal had with Meaning of Life.

6. William Waits

William Waits Stunt Coordinator

It doesn't matter... You still want the corrected discs, because when you ever upgrade your TV and/or DVD, it will pop up then...

Just because you don't see a problem not, don't let it lend you into a false sense of security, nor should you let them off the hook for their obvious Q&A mishap...

Bill

7. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Good timing. We can have a Taken sticky to replace the BTTF sticky which only recently became unstuck.

8. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

BTW, why is this set so expensive?

Who has the best price??

9. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

10. Dannie

Dannie Stunt Coordinator

i saw it int he stores yesterday thank god id idnt pick it up cuz i read about it b4 hand on a site about the problems

11. JeffMuller

JeffMuller Stunt Coordinator

Good thing I'm Tivo-ing the series on SciFi this month! That'll have to do until a "fixed" set gets released.

12. AlexSchwarz

AlexSchwarz Stunt Coordinator

Does anybody know if the RC2-set of "Taken" also has this problem?

13. Niko Nykanen

Niko Nykanen Stunt Coordinator

*sigh*
    Gonna cancel my pre-order now then..
    [​IMG]

14. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

The R2 DVD set doesn't have this problem as it is an interlace PAL transfer. It appears that the R1 version was taken from an iinterlaced video master and transferred to progressive. The R1 Buffy sets have the problem as well and it is irritating.

15. AlexSchwarz

AlexSchwarz Stunt Coordinator

Thanks a lot!

16. Patrick R

Patrick R Extra

Hello,

I know Universal said it was a DVD Player problem, but I'm not so sure. I believe it could be limited to a bad batch of discs.

I recently bought the Southern Cross boxed set which is an Anime title from ADV. On two of the episodes I ran into severe interlace artifacts. The motion would become very jittery and jerky, but the audio was unaffected. Does this sound like what people who have witnessed the problem with Taken saw? I contacted ADV about it and they said they were aware of the problem and would send me a replacement set. I didn't get an explanation of what the problem was. It looks to me like the field order got switched during encoding. Also, there are a few other Anime titles that have the same problem and they all came out recently. Maybe Universal/Dreamworks and the Anime companies used the same facility to encode the discs.

That's my theory and I could be wrong, but the problem described with Taken seems to be the same problem I've witnessed on Southern Cross. Also, I do not have a progressive scan player.

Patrick