What's new

Warning on Charles Chaplin releases -- (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
OK, so the way I understand it is that they have claimed a copyright on the story. If that's the case then it won't be public domain again until 2027. It seems like a loophole to me. If motion pictures can only be copyrighted for 75 years, this seems to be a sneaky way around it.
Jeff

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Thanks for the warning.
Of course, just when I had saved money,
here I am being BROKE again because of this news!
wink.gif

Mark

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I don't know what to do!
Every one of these titles has been on my wishlist for some time now, and I have yet to buy a single one of them!
I don't know if I should go ahead and get the 10 discs (which would be just over $200!) or just get the new versions. If his "director's cuts" were his prefered versions, part of me wants to respect that and wait for those to be released on DVD.
I find myself in something of an ethical bind here... I always endeavor to support the director's vision, but in this case... I'm nonplussed. I'd really like to see the original version.
I'm with Jacques on this. Not sure what to do. I think I need to think about this a little more.
Those well versed in silent film history, what are you doing and how would you guide others?
------------------
campic07.jpg

The HTF Lowest Post Champion!

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'm with Jacques on this. Not sure what to do. I think I need to think about this a little more.
Those well versed in silent film history, what are you doing and how would you guide others?
One thing I think that needs to be found out is the copyright situation with some of these. If they fall into the same situation as the 1925 Gold Rush, then this definitely could be the last time we see some of the early features in their original form for more than 25 years. Maybe someone here knows if any of these others are affected by GATT. If not, then someone could release City Lights for example in another 5 years. Since there are good quality versions of the Essanay and Mutuals, I would think someone could put out good quality versions of the original features once they fell into the public domain.
Just to be safe, I'm getting these now. I like having them in their original form even though Chaplin re-cut them, just like I prefer the original cuts of Star Wars. I certainly respect the director's wishes, thus I have no problem with the full-frame Kubrick discs. However, in this case I feel there is a certain historical value to these original versions.
Jeff

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I see it this way: Directors' intent is all fine and good, but to go back to a film several years later and make changes based on your revised frame of reference is a bit ludicrous. This is the same thing that Lucas did to Star Wars and that Speilberg is planning to do to E.T. Making a movie is like having a child, once you have it, you have it. You don't push it back in and see if next time it comes out it will have a different eye colour or be the opposite gender. What would you say if Billy Wilder decided to recut Sunset Blvd, now that he's in his 90s? Is he the same person existentially that he was when he first made it? NO.
I will be passing on The Gold Rush for this reason and will also be passing on Speilberg's "kinder and gentler" E.T. If Lucas doesn't include the original cut of SW when he finally let's it be released, there will be no sale to me on that one either.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"People always clap for the wrong things." - The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.
Please sign the online petition against Warner Brothers' recent non-OAR releases. Click here.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I wasn't aware there was a boxed set until I read this thread, so thanks to those who mentioned it. I was able to knock out four titles (and save a little money!) because of this, and now I only have two more must-have Chaplins to buy.
I wasn't planning to get this version of the Gold Rush, but the box was worth it. I guess it'll be watchable, but I'll hold out hope we'll see the silent version eventually.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
I've just ordered City Lights and Modern Times and am considering The Kid and The Circus as well. I won't purchase the current version of The Gold Rush and his post-1936 work doesn't interest me enough to pay $25 a pop (bad as it sounds, my SP-mode-recorded-off-AMC tapes are good enough for me).
Mark -
Could you possibly expand on the Keaton box set? Can we expect all 10 Kinos + bonus to be in the set or, like Chaplin, just the three or four most popular? Also, any word on the content of the possible bonus disc? (I already have five of the ten and would be loathe to repurchase them unless the extra material was truly worthwhile.) As you can tell from my signature, I'm a bit of a fan.
Evan
------------------
"* * * * * * * * * * * * *" - Buster Keaton
AFI List: Meesa finished!
S&S: 24 films left

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I just finished watching the Gold Rush, and I was quite content with it. Sure, I wish I had the original silent version, but the narration wasn't as bad as some have said. And the print! It's simply gorgeous. Of course, that probably has a lot to do with it being a 1942 print rather than a 1925 print. I'll still buy TGR if it's rereleased in its original format (it's probably my favorite Chaplin), but I forsee myself watching this copy many more times in the future.

Richard Carnahan

Stunt Coordinator
From Bret Wood of Kino on the extra Keaton disc:
The final lineup will be announced in a couple of weeks, but it
(tentatively) includes two Educational shorts (Mixed Magic and Jail Bait) a new
version of Hard Luck (with restored footage), commercials, home movies, lots of
footage from the TV series Life With Buster Keaton, photos, scenes from an
uncompleted musical, an interactive excerpt from John Bengston's book Silent
Echoes, and clips from Keaton's appearance on This Is Your Life. One of the
true gems in the treasure chest is Keaton's dramatic performance in The
Awakening, based on Gogol's story "The Cloak" (an episode of TV's Douglas
Fairbanks Jr. Theater). Almost all of it is mastered from crisp 35mm material.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Thanks Richard,
Looks like I might have to do a double dip on a few of the discs and pick up this box. That's an amazing set of features! (I still wish it was being released separately.)
Evan
------------------
"* * * * * * * * * * * * *" - Buster Keaton
AFI List: Meesa finished!
S&S: 24 films left

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Maybe we ought to start a petition to get that bonus disc released separately! :)
Seriously, though, it sounds like a must-have, but I simply can't buy doubles of most the discs. I can't wait to hear about the new Hard Luck, though. I wonder if they found the "diving to China" footage. Also, it's going to be hard to resist if the Awakening is presented in its entirety.

Claes Ljunghorn

Stunt Coordinator
Oh no! I already own 7 of the Keaton Disc's. I can´t afford to buy them again...please release the extra disc separately!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Good news! This just in from Kino on the extra disc:
quote: Alright, loyal Keaton fans, don't panic.
We'll find a way to keep everybody happy, hopefully without forcing you to cut up your boxes to mail in proofs of purchase seals. Stay tuned.
Bret Wood
Producer
Kino International Corp.[/quote]
I smile. What a great DVD company!!!
PS: Just realized that Keaton has completely taken over this Chaplin thread, just as Chaplin completely took over the Keaton thread. Oh well, who needs to stay on topic anyway?
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."
[Edited last by Mark Zimmer on August 29, 2001 at 09:47 AM]

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
PS: Just realized that Keaton has completely taken over this Chaplin thread, just as Chaplin completely took over the Keaton thread. Oh well, who needs to stay on topic anyway?
laugh.gif
I noticed that, too!
Anyway, thank you for passing along Kino's reply in regards to the bonus disc. That really eases my mind. Based on Richard's post, that bonus disc is already at the top of my must-own list.

Greg Lovern

Stunt Coordinator
Any news on whether Keaton's MGM Talkies will be released on DVD? There was a laserdisc box set of them.
They are mostly ponderously dull (Keaton did not have creative control, and was paired like oil and water with the tiresome Jimmy Durante), but each contains some worthwhile Keaton bits. I think it would be ideal if someone put together a sort of montage of the best Keaton scenes in the MGM Talkies.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Back to Chaplin for a bit. A link to David Shepard's post regarding the changes we can expect from the reissued Chaplins was posted in the other thread, and I'd like to provide it for people who didn't follow said thread.
Also, I'd like to ask a question about the post. Shepard says the new version of Modern Times will see the last verse of the nonsense song cut. Does anyone have any insight into why this would be cut? It's basically the punchline of the whole joke! If I'm reading it correctly, the young girl liked the fat old man because of his diamond ring. In the last verse, it is revealed the diamond ring is a fake, so presumably their engagement is off! Why would Chaplin cut this?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Keaton's MGM films are now held by AOL-Time-Warner, so you can expect to see them on DVD in about, oh, 2035.
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif

------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Richard Carnahan

Stunt Coordinator
Re: Warning on Charles Chaplin releases --
posted on August 30, 2001 04:58 AM CST (US)
[David] Shepard says the new version of Modern Times will see the last verse of the nonsense song cut. Does anyone have any insight into why this would be cut? It's basically the punchline of the whole joke! If I'm reading it correctly, the young girl liked the fat old man because of his diamond ring. In the last verse, it is revealed the diamond ring is a fake, so presumably their engagement is off! Why would Chaplin cut this?
It's being cut because that's the way MT was released back in 1936. Why the line was removed originally no one seems to know, but apparently it *was* cut before release.
IIRC David Shepard said he discovered the longer version by chance while searching through the Chaplin film vaults for the best material on MODERN TIMES a decade ago when he was preparing the laserdiscs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks