What's new

WARNING! New Rush In Rio NOT Anamorphic and no DTS! (1 Viewer)

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
I thought the sound sucked hard on this DVD...I was pissed. You can barely hear Geddy. The "crowd noise" overwhelms a lot of the sound. It is barely audible. No Matter how much I play with it it still sounds like crap.
As far as anamophic goes...cmon...even Bon Jovi has anamorphic DVD's and they sound great too. Someone dropped the ball on this and it landed in my lap. I would not recommend this DVD to anyone.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Well, I just got around to watching this and all I have to say is...what a turd.

I love Rush and their performance was great, unfortunately, it wasn't reflected in this DVD. The sound levels were horrible. I can't believe the members of Rush approved this garbage. That Bad.

The video stunk it up big time. Lord I'm glad I rented and didn't purchase this junk.

I pray that Rush gives a tour one last shot and get's it right this time.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Kinda tardy to the schvitzing party, Chris. But better late than never. ;)

The more "recent" issue to bitch about in connection with this release is that, as problematic as the idea may be for those of us who enjoyed the show in its entirety, the 'highlights' disc that I was told by Coming Home reps would be released in March '04--with anamorphic video and DTS--of course never happened.

Make sure you check out the docu, Chris. It will shed some light on the adverse conditions under which this concert film was made and hopefully a better understanding of those production exigencies will soften your stance.

-p

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It's been a while since I watched this, but I seem to recall that it's one of the most you-are-there concert DVD mixes I've heard. Maybe people are too used to hearing sterile, overprocessed "live" mixes. This is what a concert sounds like live (unless my memory is failing me. . .).

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
You are very correct Aaron.

I think people have a certain idea of how live discs should sound, and get thrown by this one, since the crowd is so high in the mix.

Personally, I'm thankful for this, because the crowd is part of the enjoyment of this disc. Just hearing the crowd go wild for every song is just mindblowing.

Jason

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I do not go to concerts to hear the crowd, I absolutely hate this DVD concert release. The VHS tape of "A Show of Hands" looks better and sounds better then this DVD.

I only wish they would put another concert out (I would love to have ASoH on DVD) and apologize for this last effort!

Wes

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
To each his own, I guess, but I like the fact that I actually feel like I'm at a concert, rather than, well, watching a DVD.

Yes, there are things they could have done better with this set, like having it anamorphic, and maybe upping the center channel slightly, but for the most part, it is a viceral thrill.

While ASoH may sound better, I find it a poor substitute for a real Rush show. It is missing the "live" feel. In fact, you barely notice that there's an audience.

Jason

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Yes, there are things they could have done better with this set, like having it anamorphic, and maybe upping the center channel slightly, but for the most part, it is a viceral thrill.
Jason, I am afraid that you and I are probably the only two members of the HTF that actually like RiR and are willing to say so publicly!:D

I shot my wad on this one two years ago when it was released, and am not going to rehash any of those arguments, but I continue to enjoy this DVD more than any other live concert I have in my collection.

To Each His Own, INDEED!

BGL

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
I enjoy the show, and I think the pic quality is very good, except for the small cameras behind Neal. I do think the mix is muddy and the crowd is loud, but the crowd was very loud at the show, so it comes across. The vocals need to be louder as well. While it's not perfect, it does have a nice feel to it, because they didn't go to the studio to fix anything, Unlike ASOH, P/G or ESL. While I like all three of those, those videos have a canned/too perfect feel to them. RIR does not. It feels raw and live.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Jason, I am afraid that you and I are probably the only two members of the HTF that actually like RiR and are willing to say so publicly!
At the same time, I can kinda understand why others are disappointed in it. When most concert videos feature flawless soundboard recordings, with the audience turned down in the mix, it is understandable when they hear something like this, that they are thrown by it. Particularly since the crowd is so loud during "Tom Sawyer", they almost drown out the band. (Probably not hard to do with a crowd of 100K).

But, as someone who has collected a few live albums and a lot of bootlegs, I appriciate the honesty with this release. They didn't use multiple takes to get the "right" perfomance. They didn't do studio trickery, or overdubs to make things better than they really were, this is an honest document of one concert. The band wasn't perfect and the situation wasn't perfect, but the high energy is there, and the Rio crowd was some of the most involved that I've seen for a Rush concert.

As I said, I never really liked ASoH. For all the times I've seen Rush (Every tour since Roll The Bones), ASoH doesn't have near the energy that I usually feel at a show. RiR is far better in that respect.

Jason

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Watching and hearing the crowd during YYZ is awe inspiring, goose-bump stuff.

Having seen Rush on that tour (before these shows were shot), I was amazed at how different the audiences were. At the show in Albuquerque that I saw, it was mostly a bunch of 40 somethings like me. Total fans for sure, but none of us were jumping up and down and singing along; we stood and bobbed our heads, but that was about it.

Compared to the crowds in Rio, we looked like we were escapees from a morgue:D

BGL

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

Um...Rush in Rio was filmed at the end of the "Vapor Trails" tour, and released prior to the "30th Anniversary Tour". So, there was your tour.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Well, to each his own is right. However, I've seen Rush in concert 5 times in my lifetime, (not their last tour though)and I don't think this DVD represents their live show. I don't know how else to say it.

Yes the crowd was rowdy, but when have you ever seen anything in Brazil where the crowd was jumping around. Heck, I think Barry Manilow gave a concert down there and he got the same reaction. Not trying to dis Rio, they know how to have a good time.

I like to hear some crowd on a DVD but man o man, this is way hot. The center channel needed to be turned on, and Geddy's Bass Synth was incredibly loud on Tom Sawyer and about 5 others.

So yes people have their opionions and I'm not trying to do too much more knocking on my fav band. Just for me, it sucked.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I like to hear some crowd on a DVD but man o man, this is way hot. The center channel needed to be turned on, and Geddy's Bass Synth was incredibly loud on Tom Sawyer and about 5 others.
Chris,

Try giving the 2.0 track a try, you may actually like it (especially "Spirit of Radio"). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks