What's new

WARNING! New Rush In Rio NOT Anamorphic and no DTS! (1 Viewer)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Fromt Digitalbits.com
Also this morning, we have word over at our MusicTAP affiliate that the new Rush in Rio DVD from Universal Music is unfortunately NOT in the anamorphic widescreen that was promised in early press releases (and which is indicated on the back of the package). Also, the DTS track that had been expected based on the original announcement seems to have been dropped at the last minute. That's obviously very disappointing - we've been inundated with e-mails from angry Rush fans who hurried out to get the disc on Tuesday only to surprised by this. Our understanding is that the concert was shot in high-def, which is 1.78:1 anamorphic, so there should be no reason why the concert couldn't have been anamorphic on DVD. Matt's trying to figure out what happened, so we'll post when we know.
Gee, what a surprise on the studio...

I *almost* bought this one....no chance now.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Read the post in the Music forum. There is an explination as to why this happened.

No DTS because it didn't fit in the bit budget.

No anamophic because of a decision by Geddy's brother and wasn't caught in time.

That being said, despite the faults, I don't regret buying this.

Jason

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
And when you look in the music thread, someone just posted that they found some magic sequence of key strokes to bring up an anamorphic version.

Methinks someone is very, very confused, but since my disc has not arrived yet, I can't check it for myself.

Come on, mailman!

BGL

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I doubt that person is correct about the magic anamorphic. I just can't see that happening.

As for it not being anamorphic or DTS...if you're a long time Rush fan does it really matter if the specs aren't perfect? The concert is great and captures the energy of the live show. The video and DD5.1 are pretty good. The lack of anamorphic/DTS shouldn't keep anyone from buying this DVD.

I really can't believe that people have gotten to the point where if the specs aren't what they want they don't buy it, even if it's something they like. Whatever happened to buying movies/concerts for content?

Sorry, I had to rant.

Paul W

Second Unit
I can believe it. What I can't believe is there are people who don't understand the process.

As long as 16x9 has been out, if a studio doesn't know how to properly transfer an HDTV sourced video, they don't deserve my money.

I'm a big Rush fan, but I'm gonna wait until they do this one right.

Adam_R

Second Unit
I knew it wasn't going to be DTS, and Rush put out a press release stating it, so no big disappointment there. I mean DTS would be nice, but DD5.1 is fine with me. I was HUGELY disappointed in no Anamorphic video, but that may be just a SUPER WIERD option or glitch or something if the following turn out to be true:

"Hey guys the transfer is indeed ANAMORPHIC! You have to go into the audio options and select (dolby 5.1), then select (resume). It is then shown in anamorphic widescreen. It is the most bizzare thing ever. "

Quoted fro the other thread mentined above.

Can anyone confirm this? I can't, I'm at work. Is it even possible to choose anamorphic or not? Please explain.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Just to clarify, I'm disappointed that it's not anamorphic as well. However, I love Rush too much to let that guide my decision. When you get right down to it, you're buying for content, right? It's not like RiR is unwatchable, far from it.

Just my opinion, YMMV...

Adam_R

Second Unit
Jim C - I agree 100%

I am happy beyond words to have this INCREDIBLE show on DVD. I can now go see RUSH any time I want in my own Home Theater.

I am still disappointed that it was advertised as anamorphic, but it isn't. Or maybe it is.

Adam_R

Second Unit
Ok, now I'm pissed. I read a review of the UK version, and it's definitely anamorphic. Here's a quote from dvdtimes.co.uk

"I've been getting feedback now that the US Region 1 edition has been released and it seems that it is NON-ANAMORPHIC.

Just to confirm - this UK edition is definitely ANAMORPHIC - enhanced for widescreen TVs."

DAMN IT!!!

Eric F

Screenwriter
Funny how you guys are talking about this.

A few months back I picked up the Fabulous Thunderbirds One Night in LA DVD, which was supposedly the first live concert recorded in HD (they made a big deal about this and the DTS 96/24 soundtrack). So I was shocked when the DVD turned out to be 4:3 letterboxed.

Makes no sense.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Just to clarify, I am a big Rush fan too, but I don't buy live DVD's mostly because I watch them once and generally not again. I was however on the fence about RiR since it was supposed to be 16x9, which would have been the first concert DVD I saw this way.

Jim is right, if you're a huge fan it should not make a difference. But we should also not let blatant mispresentation of the 16x9 absence go unanswered.

I was not aware of the press release on no DTS, but even if I was, it would appear that most if not all vendors did not get that memo. If the specs of an announced disc change, the burden should be on the studio, and not the vendor to make sure the disc gets represented accurately.

There is simply no excuse for this kind of mistake IMO.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I was going to pick this up, but then I saw the Regal Cinemas showing and I found the sound mix horrible (it sounded worse than some b00tlegs I've heard). That put me on the fence. Now that I find out it's non-anamorphic as well, it's an easy no-sale for me.

-Lyle J.P.

Adam_R

Second Unit
Lyle, don't let the regal mix fool ya. It sounds MUCH better than that on the DVD. I think the mix is great. It does have a good deal of crowd noise, but all the music is clear and sounds great. The crown noise actually adds to the whole "live" experience. The DVD is definitely worth the $, even without anamorphic.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Wow!! What a major FUBAR!! I'll skip it. Would you buy a car that was listed as a 6 cylinder to find out later that it only had 4? Same difference here just different amounts of this=$$$.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
if you're a long time Rush fan does it really matter if the specs aren't perfect?
YES!

I would expect any product put out by Rush to be top quality, as most of their recordings are!

A lack of an anamorphic transfer is inexusable under these circumstances, and I will not buy this DVD.

I could live without the DTS, but non-anamorphic transfers usually don't look very good on a 123" screen. :frowning:

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
MusicTap just came back with a response:

I've spoken with one of the principle involvements in the Rush in Rio DVD and found out some very interesting things concerning the DVD. The first is simple: there will be no 'fixing' or 'replacing' of the package. It will stand as is. There may be, in the distant future, a 'greatest hits' of the show that will feature the delivered 16x9 Anamorphic video and DTS tracks on a single issue, that is 1DVD, but that's as far as it will go. But the decision has already been made to not change the US release. Apparently, Rush was the deciding factor in this matter. It was told to me that the band had access to several audio mixes and chose the one they felt sounded more like a real life concert setting where the sound isn't crystal clear. Band ruling, readers. It is their prerogative to deliver what they feel to be a true representation of the show.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I can believe it. What I can't believe is there are people who don't understand the process.

As long as 16x9 has been out, if a studio doesn't know how to properly transfer an HDTV sourced video, they don't deserve my money.

I'm a big Rush fan, but I'm gonna wait until they do this one right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks