Warning lights for my vehicle.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Whalen, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Dan Whalen

Dan Whalen Stunt Coordinator

I recently joined our local volunteer fire department. Now I need to get a dash light for my truck, but I'm having trouble deciding if I want to get halogen (rotating) or strobe (flashing) lights. The reason I'm leaning towards strobes is b/c there is more of a variety of them with red and blue lights. Most of the halogen lights that I've found have a blue light, and red mirrors. If I get a halogen light I'd really like to have a red light with blue mirrors. Is there anyone on here that has had experience with either of these types of lights? Which would you all recommend? Thanks.

Dan

2. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    Hey, Dan!

First, you need to learn what type of light you can legally have. In Missouri, you get a blue light card, and can only legally show blue light. Red is a no-no for volunteers, and get get you arrested. Find out before you spend the money. Your chief should know.

As far as strobe or halogen, the thing I have seen with the strobe is that they do not give good angle coverage like a halogen does. The halogen will rotate 360, shinging at all angles, while the strobe is primarily focused forward. The angle is important at intersections, as that traffic probably won't see the forward facing strobe. That is the main drawback I see. Wig wag headlights can help that, along with flashing the turn signals and parking lights.

That being said, there is a tremendously cool lcd visor mount unit I saw at Law Enforcement Equipment in Kansas City. Multiple patterns, very bright, pretty darned cool. I think it was made by Whelen, but I'm not sure.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I dunno, but hook me up with one of those white (opticon?) strobes that makes all the lights green.

4. Dan Whalen

Dan Whalen Stunt Coordinator

Well, Randy, I'm pretty sure around here you can use red lights. Most of the guys have red lights, and some have red and blue. There are a few guys that have red and blue light bars on the tops of their trucks. I was looking at getting some wig-wags, but the only ones that I can find from Galls are for '98 and up Sonomas (I've got a '97). I was also thinking about getting a siren, but there is absolutley no room under the hood for the speaker (it's really cramped under there). Maybe I just need a bigger truck.[​IMG]
    Dan