What's new

Warning..John Wayne/John Ford Canadian Edition (1 Viewer)

Jay_J

Agent
Real Name
JJ
Just a warning for all Canadians looking to buy this box set. It is missing the Stagecoach 2 disc edition. Must be a rights issue, as it has been removed from the packaging listing as well. I found this in two places today...Sunrise and HMV, both without Stagecoach. Seems the Dominion of Tax has been royally screwed again. First we wait two weeks, then this happens! Looks like I'll be picking this one up south of the border next week.

Jay

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
What could possibly be a rights issue about the content in the extras?

Anyways, thanks for the warning... I think a drive to Burlington or NY State is in order in the next few weeks.

I'm really getting tired of all these Canadian issues recently with packaging, content, features, etc.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
It's not the extras - it's Castle Hill titles in Canada. TO BE OR NOT TO BE was missing from Classic Comedies Collection in Canada as well.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Wow... so Stagecoach is just not in the set altogether?

I guess that's not really WB's fault, but frustrating none the least.

At least I won't have to complain about bilingual packaging now...

Jay_J

Agent
Real Name
JJ

I didn't realize To Be or Not To Be was left off the Classic Comedies. I bought that box in Atlanta last year while heading to our condo in Orlando. Of course, it had To Be or Not To Be included.

I refuse to purchase any substandard Canadian edition of either music or dvd, I just add it to my list, and pick it up the next trip south. If everyone could do the same (which I know most can't) these companies would get their act together up here in a hurry.

Jay

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator

Stagecoach was always N/A in Canada. It was treated as an import DVD.

There's no French language track on the DVD anyway so it wouldn't have been an issue.

Christian

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia

It was included in the set I purchased from Amazon.ca

I'll be picking up my John Wayne/John Ford set south of the border. Thank God I live right near the border.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know anything about the John Ford set?

I haven't seen that one on shelves here yet either... has anyone picked it up, and if so, is it a safe purchase on all accounts (full content, extras, packaging, etc)?

Thanks!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm glad I had it pre-ordered out of the states. Funny thing is, with the exchange right now, you can buy the more complete US editions for less money than you can the Canadian editions that are missing content even factoring in the tax and shipping.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Yeah, I was going to say, what's all this "having to drive to the States" thing? amazon.com is perfectly serviceable, save your gas and time. Just bunch your titles if necessary to help compensate for the initial shipping hit, the box set counts as 1 disc. The shipping cost is practically invisible considering you won't pay any tax, which would be 15% here..considering what the box set costs it would be a wash just on this one item alone. amazon.com packs MUCH MUCH better than amazon.ca does, at least when they ship to Canada they do. I'd call their packing impressive even, compared to everybody else...for those who worry about package damage.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Another thing about this, and than I'm done as I've said before, I already ordered this out of the States w/ Amazon.com (worked out to about $50 cdn.)

Why are Canadians finding out about these issues on the day of release? Warners must of known that this set was going to be missing Stagecoach, that Comedy Classics was going to be missing "To Be Or Not To Be" and that the "Wizard Of Oz Ultimate Set" was going to be missing the cartoon. To be frank, it's horse shit.

And like Marco asked: Where's the John Ford set?

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
Did Canada get the the second disc of A Streetcar Named Desire? Elia Kazan: a Director's Journey is a Castle Hill property.

Foreign Correspondent, A Night in Casablanca, and A Face in the Crowd are Castle Hill properties too. Did they show up in their respective boxes? Just curious.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Foreign Correspondent (Hitchcock) and A Night in Casablanca (Marx) sure did. But we got the old NxNW packaging in Canada (STILL haven't seen the new here...an old wound).

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I have the NxNW packaging from the Warner Hitchcock set, as well as second disc of Streetcar.

But I agree that it's ridiculous that we need to find this information out on these forums, after the sets have already been released. This should be made public to us beforehand.

Jay_J

Agent
Real Name
JJ

I picked up the John Ford set at Sunrise on Tuesday morning. As far as I can tell, nothing is missing from that set.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks