What's new

Warning for Samsung (would-be) buyers (1 Viewer)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Most of you may already know about my problematic Samsung TVs. For those who don't know, the short version of the story is that since I bought my Samsung 16:9 HDTV in August 2002, I've been encountering one problem after another. To make things worse, Samsung service centres bounced me all over the place, giving me the run-around for almost a year until Samsung agreed to 'upgrade' my TXM-3092WHF to HCM4215W.

This causes me to tear down my wall unit (and buy another equipment rack) because, obviously, it won't fit the much larger projection TV. To make things worse, I had to pay $150 'extra' for the forced upgrade (they claim the problem on my 3092 is by design)

Well, Samsung sent me the 4216 instead of the 4215. Wrong coloured cabinet (silver instead of charcoal). But I accepted it since by that time, it's been a 11 months since I bought the original TV with no resolve to my problem.

You'd think that the problem is now solved. Wrong, the TV can't hold the convergence at all. I need to re-converge the TV every (around) 30 minutes.

After complaining again, a couple of months later Samsung exchanged it again with another new 4215. Wow! The got the order correct this time around... alas, there is a 2" fine vertical line across the middle of the screen.

This time around, Samsung claimed that there is a design problem with the 4215/4216/422 and told me to hang on until they received the latest batch of TV from Korea which supposedly have all the design flaws fixed. They promised me for another exchange with a brand-new, fresh-batch TV.

Well, yesterday I finally received my 4th TV... and guess what? I did NOT get a brand-new TV as promised by Samsung.

The following are the tell-tale signs:

1. The box comes with the wrong skid
2. The sticker that's supposed to be on the top left corner is missing (and the mark that shows that it was there was clear
3. The screen was smudged with finger prints
4. The unit is dustier than my 2 months old unit that's also never been dusted
5. Scratches in the chasis of the unit
6. The plastic bag that's supposed to contain the remote is ALREADY opened and the A/V cable and battery is missing (this is my 3rd HCM4215W, I know what's supposed to be in there)
7. Colour temperature is dead wrong. Cool 2 is supposed to be the bluest whereas Warm 2 supposed to be the reddest, but on this TV, Warm 2 is the GREENest. That means somebody already messed around with the service menu before I received it. (only happens with this one TV, the first three didn't have this anomaly)
8. Last but not least... the serial number is OLDER than my 2-month-old unit.

So for those of you would-be Samsung TV buyers... BEWARE!!

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Man that's scary. I guess I was lucky. I did'nt have any problems with mine (except for the ones I caused.);)

Shana

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like Samsung doesn't do too well in Canada after reading yours and another's post. Bummer

David Susilo

Screenwriter
The other problem with Samsung is that they don't have in-house service centres, they sub-contract everything to third party service centres.

This happened to Mitsubishi TV several years ago. After a while, due to lack of customer support, Mitsubishi fold.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks