WARNING: Beware of the BBC's "I Claudius" set on R2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce Morrison, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

I just bought the new R2 DVD set of "I Claudius" released by BBC Worldwide. However, it's gone straight back to the retailer - for reasons best known to themselves, the BBC have omitted Episode 2 ("Family Affairs") from the set! The R1 release on Image is no great shakes technically, but at least all thirteen episodes are there. I hope the BBC will correct this error and re-release the set, but I'm not holding my breath.

2. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

It's probably just an almighty cock-up, not noticed until Much Too Late.

Just like their botched and withdrawn initial release I'm Alan Partridge (which wasn't pulled for music rights, but rather Coogan, Baynham and Ianucci were pissed off that the Beeb has rehashed their old VHS versions with asking them), which streets again on 18th November, the Beeb have got it horribly wrong.

3. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I have a copy on it's way in the post so this alarmed me but I have spoken to the BBC who say it is complete nonsense and all episodes are on the discs. I suggest you check again Bruce. Perhaps your player skipped the episode for some reason.

4. David Deakin

David Deakin Auditioning

The series is either 13 50min episodes, or 1 100min episode and 11 50min episodes. The original cut of eps 1 & 2 as seperate 50mins no longer exists.

The sky is NOT falling!

Deaks.

5. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Is the picture quality of the R2 release any better than R1?

Ted

6. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...but of course! it's PAL!! so it's inherently better!!! and faster, too!!!!
    (signed) S.A.R. Castic (aleatory passer-by)
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

7. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

Actually, this is one instance where the PAL version is not faster than the NTSC version - it was recorded on video. As for the transfer, I hope it's better than the R1 version - it could hardly look worse.

8. andrew markworthy

Don't expect miracles picture-wise with this release. It was all done on video tape (barring I think, the opening credits), which in the 70s wasn't of brilliant quality anyway, and if you add on thirty years of tape degeneration ... [​IMG]

9. richard plumb

richard plumb Stunt Coordinator

the review on teletext said it looks really good - as if it was recorded last week. So some restoration must have been done.

10. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

Well, sorry to have alarmed everyone. When I got the set, I checked the episodes list against the R1 DVDs (Image), which show the programme as 13 50-minute episodes. I hadn't realised that the first two episodes had been subsequently combined into a single 100-minute episode.

Guess I'd better re-order the set...

11. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey Stunt Coordinator

Hope you feel suitably embarrassed. The first episode was always a "double" and was only separated for overseas sales IIRC.

As for the other posters comments about PAL speed up... please on a VT production???

The R2 release is excellent, not only for the clean quality picture but also for the new transfer of the Epic that never was doc and the brilliant new doc containing interviews with all the key players.

12. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I agree. The picture quality on this R2 box set is really outstanding and it's great to see the actors discussing the series.